Author Topic: Premature?  (Read 2425 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Premature?
« on: March 30, 2005, 15:39:36 »
Am becoming over-run with seedlings and plantlets.  Would it be a little toooo keen to start hardening off some of the larger cabbages with the plan to plant them on the plot in the next week to 10 days? 

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re: Premature?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 16:08:58 »
As far as I'm concerned, this seedling management thing is that hardest thing about having an allotment. I really stuffed it up last year and ended up with some very unhealthy, non-pricked out seedlings. I always think that you have to work within the limits of what you have and the time you have. And if it means bending the rules a bit, then surely that's better than giving up altogether? (or have the kids tripping over the seedlings and wrecking them all anyway?) So yes, harden off the cabbages and just see how it goes. After all, they can't be that tender can they?

sb

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 16:14:45 »
That's what I am hoping Sarah, after all, I have cabages, caulis, broc and chards that have stood out through all the winter weather and they look better now than before!!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 16:17:05 »
I had to make room today. I have a couple of small frames that I've put cauli and cabbage sedlings into. Also put my sweetpeas in there. Well, something's gotta give.

christopher

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 16:26:16 »
Hello, been following this site like a hawk for the past few weeks. First time allotment holder, and I put my Cauli's in last week, as running out of room. Looking ok so far!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 16:27:59 »
I have very limited space, so I'm trying to get stuff hardened off as soon as possible. I have some toms that are destined to go outdoors, and will be getting them outside sooner rather than later. I will be putting them in a sheltered spot against the house wall, and hoping for the best  :) Will cover with fleece if a frost is forecast.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 17:09:38 »
Okay - starting to harden spring onions, leeks, cell sowed beetroot, brussel sprouts.  Sweetpeas have been hardening for a week and some were planted yesterday - the rest to follow, weather permitting, tomorrow.  This has made some room.  Will give it a week or so and the caulis and cabbages will be following!  Tis a worry this.  Don't remember worrying like this last year.  I think I am trying to be far to organised this year.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 22:49:44 »
Am becoming over-run with seedlings and plantlets.  Would it be a little toooo keen to start hardening off some of the larger cabbages with the plan to plant them on the plot in the next week to 10 days? 

I've already accidentally done it with mine! I put the cabbages in the cold frame a week or so ago and opened it on the really warm day over the weekend. And forgot to shut it that night... 38 cabbage Minicole seedlings still happily standing there.  I've kept the lid shut since, but I think they're fine.  And being outside, they won't get too leggy.

Not sure about the putting in the ground though - I always put out at the five leaf stage so perhaps just keeping them in a frame for a couple or three weeks will be fine if they're not yet that big. Last year I planted out on April 26th.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 23:25:23 »
I think most/all brassicas are fairly hardy so I wouldnt worry too much EJ.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 08:33:00 »
after i pricked out my leeks into individual cells i had quite a few left over that i don't have space for so i just left the tray outside hoping they would die and i wouldn't have to dispose of them  :D but they are thriving! so i would say its worth a try!

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 08:45:05 »
Not being used to this lark, I planted some dwarf beans in pots to get them started on Monday, with the idea of planting out later in April once I've got that bit of ground clear- today i have them all shooting up through the soil. Hmmm. Good job I'm doing staggered planting.
Dawn

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 09:32:52 »
It's certainly what I'll be doing. (not cabbages, we don't eat those!)

As I'm running out of room, hardy things are going into the mini-greenhouse. I've got to put out my rocket, red onions and something else next. Which reminds me - are Oregon Giant peas hardy?
gone to pot :D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 12:26:01 »
Dawn - get ready with your fleece then!!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 12:38:13 »
Dawn - me too. I planted mine a couple of weeks ago and they are already 9in tall. I didn't realise they grew so quick. If I can't get them out until after the frosts in May...

And also the bed isn't dug yet (nasty sticky wet clay - needs double digging).

fleece. need more fleece.
gone to pot :D

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 18:28:31 »
Fleece at the ready - and currently eyeing newly planted courgette with trepidation!
Dawn

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 18:31:08 »
Outside? Oh, trepidate!!

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 19:03:38 »
No, not outside - in conservatory.