Author Topic: Swap climbing borlotto for dwarf? Or liquorice?  (Read 1904 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Swap climbing borlotto for dwarf? Or liquorice?
« on: January 01, 2014, 19:33:45 »
I've just discovered that I've ordered climbing borlotto beans, which I already have a stupid number of packets of, rather than the dwarf ones I meant to. 

Does anyone have a packet of dwarf ones (or similar dwarf beans) they'd be prepared to swap for them? Or (inspired by rummaging round other threads) some liquorice?

Many thanks,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Swap climbing borlotto for dwarf? Or liquorice?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:34 »
Funnily enough, I grew dwarf borlotti last year for the first time.  i've grown climbing ones for several years with great success.  a local  gardener gave me some dwarf seed, so I tried them.  But I wouldn't do them again. I already grow a couple of good rows of haricot white beans for drying.  Harvesting them means a lot of bending down or kneeling (something I can no longer do easily after a half knee replacement a couple of years ago).  So having to harvest more ground-level beans was unwelcome.  They also took up more ground space, and tended to be dirtier.  They were also smaller beans inside, although that might just have been that seed I was given.  So back to the climbing ones for me!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal