Author Topic: Grow Your Own Mag  (Read 3897 times)

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Grow Your Own Mag
« on: March 16, 2005, 06:54:01 »

Dear All
I popped in to Tescos last night and came across a magazine called Grow Your Own . (Launch Issue). Not a bad read Covers growing veg ,info on chickens , smallholders , Tips and recipes.

just thought I'd let everyone know in case they haven't seen it.

Cheers for now.

Alan    :)
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Grow Your Own Mag
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 09:54:12 »
I got one.  It had some posh carrot and broccoli seed with it.  Thought the mag was a bit upmarket (certainly the veg were  ;)  Enjoyed reading about the chickens though.  Posh chicken houses or what!!! Eglus they're called.  Better than my house I'm thinkin  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:13:05 »
I've got this too. Nice seeds (free gift) and glossy, but I was left feeling 'unsatisfied'. It'll never replace The Kitchen Gardener but might be nice as an extra. I've got a subscription and on first impressions, probably won't renew when due.

Lillypad

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 23:59:13 »
they have been advertising it in Natural Health mag for a while i was wondering when i was coming out - may have to get it along with kitchen garden

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:14:02 »
I thought the GYO mag was a refreshing change, i certainly took full advantage of the freebies and special offers, but dont tell the wife. I thought the mag was aimed at the new wave of allotmenteers and steered away from the 'old boy in flat cap' brigade. I will definately buy it again.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 16:05:39 »
the new wave of allotmenteers

That's the ones with electricity on their site so that they can clear an overgrown allotment with an electric Mantis tiller - ROFL  ??? ;D ;D ;D :'(

Embarrassed myself on the bus home with that one - not something I'll be wasting money on again.

All best - Gavin

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 17:53:55 »
while it seems to cover a lot of subjects, it seemed to be lacking in substance in the articles itself i thought. I will try a few more issue probably but i agree it seems aimed at the 'trendy new smallholders' - sounds patronising but not sure how to put otherwise.

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 22:08:50 »
As a "newbie" I quite liked it - shallow they I may be! Although I did find it rather obsessed with chickens, I used to keep them - it's not very hard!!

We get that sort of brocolli from our organic veg box chap, they call it Romanesque Cauliflower, it's certainly tasty stuff whatever it likes to call itself.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 23:20:46 »
Once I'd sussed the "product placement" in the allotment clearing article, it left me with a very sour and jaundiced taste in my reading of the other veggie bits.

I wonder if they actually have a veggie gardener writing for them at all?  Very disgruntled, I am - could have spent that £3.20 on seeds I really wanted  >:(

All best - Gavin

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 09:26:38 »
the 'old boy in flat cap' brigade.
Cheeky begger, now where did I put my cardie.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 16:09:42 »
I think it was used for the hanging baskets when your back was turned Heritage.....Whats wrong with cardies and flat caps? OOW ARR. ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 23:02:20 »
No disrespect to flat cap wearing folk, i actually own one myself.
Bought the 2nd issue of GYO, its a good read if nothing else but i agree with one user who stated that there didnt seem to be any substance to it. I will try the recipe for curried carrots though. I think it all depends what you want from a magazine, the way i look at it with 2 free packets of seeds free with every mag it makes it a worthwile buy, 2 packets of seeds would probably cost the same price as the mag, the rest is a bonus.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 22:55:16 »
Well I loved this mag - didn't see issue 1 but saw 2 and bought it - as a not very experienced gardener, finding it helpful and will definitely buy again and might even subscribe for a while....H.P.

maz

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 08:53:18 »
I thought the thread was about growing your own mag and thought I'd find out what a mag was!!  ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 22:15:36 »
 ;D Norma Jean ;D now your sounding like Marilyn ;D ;D

maz

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 19:22:13 »
Wa??   :o    A dizzy blonde??  ::)   ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 22:17:57 »
the way i look at it with 2 free packets of seeds free with every mag it makes it a worthwile buy, 2 packets of seeds would probably cost the same price as the mag, the rest is a bonus.

1. Where do you buy your seed from?
2. Want to buy a second hand car? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal