Author Topic: Allotment Choices  (Read 4327 times)

MattBristol

Allotment Choices
« on: December 03, 2013, 18:21:18 »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to allotmenting and have been offered a choice of three nearby. What would you go for here?

1. Square ish plot. Walk-in polytunnel (which I think would be left there). bit messy and next to bins, 135sq metres. £34
2. Long narrow plot, beds grassy. 175 sq metres. £51
3. Small plot, 100sq metres. £34. Beds grassy but plenty of room for a shed!

Bearing in mind this is my first time and maybe I should start small, but I would want to get some storage so perhaps not too small?!

thanks for your opinions

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 18:26:23 by MattBristol »

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Allotment Choices
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 18:27:54 »
Personally, I would opt for the polytunel plot which will provide a good start for seedlings to transfer outside, extend your growing season and the opportunity to grow earlier crops of tomatoes, peppers etc
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 18:37:57 »
Very difficult to say as all three have their pros.

If you have the time and can do a lot of hard work I would go for the biggest plot.

If you don't have oodles of time and look on the allotment as relaxation and veges are a bonus, then go got the smallest.

Other considerations are

where is the water tap/tank?

Easy access or is it a long slog from the gate?

Can you drive close to it?

are the plots surrounded by other well worked plots or are they also left?

Anyway that is my small take on it.  Whatever you do remember to enjoy your gardening.
Don't over do it to start with.

best wishes

Bill

MattBristol

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 19:19:08 »
Hi Both,

The plots are all within close proximity to a tap, plot 1 is the first one by the gate but the others are only about 10 metres away from the gate so nothing in it really.

Could I feasibly use a polytunnel as a makeshift shed? I'm not going to be storing anything of value in it so I don't see why not. Save me a bit of cash wouldn't it!

thanks

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 22:49:32 »
Hi Matt - Hope you enjoy the Allotmenteering game... Warning - It gets addictive..  :toothy10:

Anyway on to your queries.. As Bill says they all have pros and cons..

If you are willing to give it a good go and not scared of some "work" I would take the biggest one as Bill says. I say this as once you are established on a small one you may never get a chance to move to a bigger one. Also you may not feel like changing after putting time and effort in getting a smaller one to your liking then have to start again.

Mine is long narrow (see www.gavinconway.net) which is normal on our site and others in town at different sites dotted around. Mine is approx 20mt x 9 useable space then a shed and greenhouse, compost heap (large) and storage space. This last season I grew 580 odd KG of veg on 165 sq mt!! I do have the greenhouse for toms..

The poly tunnel sounds a good deal but it's not the end of the world if you don't have one. You don't say what size it is.. You can pick up greenhouses free on freecycle or by putting shop cards up looking for one - same for a shed.. You can also get free stuff from garden centres / diy stores when they do refurbs.

If you don't have time or energy then go for the poly tunnel plot and use it as a shed as well like you said. No need for a shed and a PT in that case. But as it is addictive you will have a shed and all sorts soon.... so get the big one and be done with it.

Take a good look at my blog site and you will see that it can all be done on a shoe string if you are prepared to do some digging and asking around for stuff and keeping your eyes on skips - just knock and ask..

Have fun with it and don't make it a chore. Just do a bit each time you go to the plot and it soon gets done.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

MattBristol

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:44:32 »
Hi Matt - Hope you enjoy the Allotmenteering game... Warning - It gets addictive..  :toothy10:

Anyway on to your queries.. As Bill says they all have pros and cons..

If you are willing to give it a good go and not scared of some "work" I would take the biggest one as Bill says. I say this as once you are established on a small one you may never get a chance to move to a bigger one. Also you may not feel like changing after putting time and effort in getting a smaller one to your liking then have to start again.

Mine is long narrow (see www.gavinconway.net) which is normal on our site and others in town at different sites dotted around. Mine is approx 20mt x 9 useable space then a shed and greenhouse, compost heap (large) and storage space. This last season I grew 580 odd KG of veg on 165 sq mt!! I do have the greenhouse for toms..

The poly tunnel sounds a good deal but it's not the end of the world if you don't have one. You don't say what size it is.. You can pick up greenhouses free on freecycle or by putting shop cards up looking for one - same for a shed.. You can also get free stuff from garden centres / diy stores when they do refurbs.

If you don't have time or energy then go for the poly tunnel plot and use it as a shed as well like you said. No need for a shed and a PT in that case. But as it is addictive you will have a shed and all sorts soon.... so get the big one and be done with it.

Take a good look at my blog site and you will see that it can all be done on a shoe string if you are prepared to do some digging and asking around for stuff and keeping your eyes on skips - just knock and ask..

Have fun with it and don't make it a chore. Just do a bit each time you go to the plot and it soon gets done.

hi gavin thanks for your reply,

It's a decent sized PT, I did notice that the ground seemed a bit muddy so i'm not sure if that would be a disadvantage to be honest. I might go for option 2 and just get a shed somewhere or one of those garden storage boxes. Going to check them out on the weekend and make a decision then. 580kg from 165sqm is amazing. i'll check out your site.
thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 15:53:00 »
If you're skint, go for the polytunnel if it's a decent one. If it's one of the cheap things with sort of green mesh don't bother as they don't last. If you can afford to buy one, go for the bigger plot.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 18:39:07 »
Yup... I agree... RB
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

MattBristol

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 22:05:40 »
i'll check polytunnel out on the weekend.

by the way do you know where i can get hold of cheap/free pallets?

thanks

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 22:16:56 »
Building sites, printers, timber sales yards, b&q type places, all sorts of places like that. Skips, local builders yard.... Take a drive through an industrial site and I'll assure you that you will see some lying about.. Just knock on and ask..

MattBristol

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 20:54:53 »
I decided upon plot 3, the smallest. The poly tunnel had since been removed from the other one and I think starting small is best for me!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:48:27 »
A sensible choice I think as it can seem very daunting with a large plot at first and can seem too much and then lose interest. You can grow a lot in a small space  anyway.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:21 »
A sensible choice I think as it can seem very daunting with a large plot at first and can seem too much and then lose interest. You can grow a lot in a small space  anyway.
Very true, battling continuously with the weeds means you do not get as much produce and is demoralising!

MattBristol

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:24 »
I measured it earlier, 6 metres wide by 14 metres long. There's a path up the side which I think must be accounted for on the council's website size of 100sqm, so the workable area I have is 85 sqm. Excited now.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 11:59:33 »
 :blob7:  :blob7:  :blob7:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 13:14:34 »
100 sq metres is the standard size for allotments in France and that is quite enough to grow for your family. I have been on that for 5 years but it is quite a lot of work. make sure you cover the bits you don't use immediately or sow them with green manure to avoid weeds.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 13:49:26 »
I agree that weed control is the best course of action.  I find if you can keep on top of them particularly in April and May then you will win.   Buy a nice hoe, keep it sharp and use it often.   Or mulch.

I do hope you enjoy your plot.    .   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal