Author Topic: Ouch, that hurt.  (Read 2716 times)

digmore

• Half Acre
Ouch, that hurt.
« on: December 02, 2013, 17:17:23 »
Been to get some poles and chicken netting today, went to farm supplies. Ouch, poles £3.60 for 6, netting £39.99 for 50m.......
These ducks better start laying by Dec 24 or its duck for Xmas dinner. Should never have bought these ducks out of sympathy.

Digmore

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Ouch, that hurt.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 19:28:16 »
Hmm...I hope you like roast dug then..
I suspect they won't start laying for another couple of months yet...you have to wait until there is little bit spring in the air.
But still....it is all exciting :toothy10: New ducks!
Do you know what sort of dugs they are?

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 20:06:49 »
Karki campbells, three of the

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:38:10 »
Aren't those the ducks that are gentle on the garden and eat all your slugs?  Hope they will earn their keep long before they lay eggs.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:09 »
Aren't those the ducks that are gentle on the garden and eat all your slugs?  Hope they will earn their keep long before they lay eggs.

:evil6:..gentle...well, if all goes well and they prove to behave. But yes, that breed is said to be 'slug eating machines' and as a bonus they are good layers too.
But being light breed...their wings need clipping (unless you cover their housing area too) or they might want to fly away to expand their 'territory'.

Good luck with your new girls!!!  OH....it only hurt once...once you got it all up and running and providing you did good job to start with, all the hard work and expense should keep birds going for years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 15:50:46 »
My sister tried those once. After a couple of months where were still no eggs so we ate them. You may have better luck!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 20:03:42 »

But being light breed...their wings need clipping (unless you cover their housing area too) or they might want to fly away to expand their 'territory'.

They will still fly a short way, so just clip one wing, but check they were not pinioned when they were ducklings. With one wing clipped they will still get off the ground but can only fly in a tight circle. I used to keep a few dozen khakis, 350 eggs a year each. Don't put them in the fridge. They have very porous shells and the dirt gets sucked in as they cool. Wash the eggs under lukewarm running water.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal