Author Topic: Brussels sprout's  (Read 1926 times)

granny garden

• Not So New ...
Brussels sprout's
« on: November 27, 2013, 21:00:24 »
Just wondered if I need to feed my sprouts?? I have lots of button's on both green & red ones but they aren't very big & don't seem to be growing much.

Any help & or advice welcome.  :drunken_smilie:

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Brussels sprout's
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 21:37:24 »
No need to feed know was the ground well prepared before you transferred them from there pots. You need to put garden lime in the  hole you dig for your plant firm back the soil they do not like freshly dug soil. Manure in the autumn then about march I had lime  to the raised bed, and  a bit more lime when planting this works for me. Button sprouts are lovely lot of people can not grow them you have done  well.
m j gravell

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 00:21:15 »
Mine are pretty tiny too ... but I put that down to mistakenly placing the row too close to Purple sprouting that has had most of the light off them on the south side for the past 5 months.   Healthy plants ... but if they were the other way round it would have made a massive difference.

Good learning curve!

granny garden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 00:32:38 »
Thanks for reply's - ground was manured & I did put some lime on top of ground & raked in. I think I was a bit greedy & planted too close, do you think that this could contribute to small buttons?  I just hate throwing plants away  :sad10:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:19:01 »
Well you don't have to throw the plants away ... just eat small buttons!  That's what I'll be doing!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 23:12:34 »
Just had my first ones of the year .... yes they were not the biggest ... but really sweet and delicious.  One stalk made a serving for 4 people of baby brussels sprouts.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 22:11:21 »
Hang on in there - whatever wasn't "right" may well do no more than delay things.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 21:30:09 »
It could be just the variety some do have much smaller sprouts than others but if you feed them now you are likely to make them grow very loose.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal