Author Topic: Pay attention to your spuds!  (Read 2099 times)

Paul Dee

• Not So New ...
Pay attention to your spuds!
« on: March 19, 2005, 16:18:59 »
While I was filling the bird seed hangers in the shed last week, I looked at the 40-odd spuds I had chitting happily on the workbench by the window and briefly thought ' I'm sure I had a full tray of those spuds on the end, oh well, I suppose not...' and carried on as usual.

What a mistake! It now appears a rat has got into the shed, and last week was just his starter! I've gone in today, and the b****r has eaten all the others, apart from (I think) Kestrel. (I'm not exactly sure which one is left as all the labels have been knocked over, but he's certainly not to keen on one of them...)

£10 of seed spuds, and a month of chitting wasted...

Gutted!

Watch your spuds!

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Pay attention to your spuds!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 17:40:32 »
Sorry to hear about your spuds  :(  It's not too late to get some more and I don't think they necessarily need to have chitted beforehand.  Spuds are still on sale in our lotty shop.  Expensive carry on though - feeding rats with yer best tatties  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 18:22:09 »
Agree.

Did they look like this??

Paul Dee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 19:06:54 »
No, thats the funny thing...there are no half eaten spuds at all  ???

Strange, most beasties seem  to delight in just taking a few bites and moving on to the next one, but this fellow seems to have been thorough and they have completely dissapeared. Over 30 of them! very strange.

And I can now confirm that corgis have definitely lost their ratting skills over the generations, mine sniffed the droppings on the floor, but didn't give a second thought and just wandered away! ;)

Looks like I'll be back to the garden centre tomorrow!

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 20:17:29 »
I reckon the rat's been fitted up - could a neighbour be getting free spuds from you and sprinkling rat pearls to throw you off the scent? - excuse the term!!  No crumbs, none half eaten???  hmmmhhh???

My rockets are in front window of the house - seem to be doing ok - I think I'll get them in tomorrow or Monday....  before my neighbour sees them...

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 21:28:28 »
Hmm, even foxes don't eat potatoes whole; they looked like Tim's --- with great big teeth marks!

All best - Gavin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal