Author Topic: Council compost  (Read 2799 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Council compost
« on: December 11, 2013, 20:32:02 »
Had a very enjoyable morning today at the allotment, got five wheelbarrows of Council compost.  It was a bit foggy, but with my woolly hat and gloves did OK.  Enormous pile of compost, but with about 5/7 men with wheelbarrows we had races. Thank you Enfield Council, I love you today, apart from when you don't answer my emails about the rubbish in the alley where I live. We also have a lot of manure, which I put on my strawberries, which have died, but the other ones that OK, and I have plenty of runners.  Think I may be put the manure (straw) around the fruit trees, and hopefully it will be good to kill the grass, but hopefully not the trees.  Nice to see Kev back, where is everyone else nowadays.  I expect ACE is training his/her new puppy, he is really a great big softy, me thinks.  So pleased  that everyone at my allotments is so friendly, and helpful.  It made my day.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Council compost
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 18:30:35 »
Not been on here lately and only been to the plot twice in the last three months, losing interest to tell the truth, longer working hours since redundancies but can't compain as I still have a job, been away quite a few weekends plus football and pub necessities so just haven't had much time. I've still got spuds in the ground, dug some up last week and noticed two loads of compost had been tipped.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:24 »
Come on Kev where is your motivation?! I agree that it is harder over the winter months, but on a really nice day try going down again and you will soon find things that need attending to... I will go to pick my brussel sprouts for Christmas :)

I wish we had compost delivered -  we are doing our own now on a large scale but the others seem to think it  won't be ready for 2 years which seems like b****it to me.  Luckily I do my own! Useful for the root veg patch.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:57 »
I can get it for £1 a bag nice to have it free.   Wary early summer after the lawns have been weed killed.

What are you putting in for it to take two years?   :BangHead:  It will take up a lot of space.  Suggest you apply liquid compost accelerator.   Once a pile has heated up and killed things off, I tend to bury it asap.   I suppose if you put wood into it it takes a lot longer.   Persistent weeds such as dandelions get fed to the rhubarb, nettles get drowned.     

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal