Author Topic: Problems with allotment committee  (Read 10515 times)

Naboth

• Not So New ...
Problems with allotment committee
« on: November 14, 2013, 19:16:17 »
I have been experiencing harassment and bullying for several months, mainly by a committee member.  I am also on the committee, having joined earlier this year (as did my bully).  We have neighbouring plots, and he has been difficult on and off for years.

Since we joined the committee he has become much worse, and the committee position is that we can't bring our complaints to the committee ... but they then allow him to complain about ME at the meetings.  He is more active on the committee than I am, partly because when I offer to do things my offer tends to be ignored.  (Another new female member also seems to have offers to help ignored, with most members being men.)

I have involved the police over the harassment, and the police emailed me to report that they had visited the man and told him his behaviour is not acceptable (I kept this email).

Because the committee would not address my continuing problems I contacted the Council and local councillors and the police again.  (The allotment is let by  an Allotment Association, who lease them from the City Council.)   The Council sounded concerned but said the committee must deal with it.

When the committee meeting learned that I had complained to the council about damage to my gate, three members had a go at me, demanding why I had gone to the council and shouting me down when I tried to state my problems.  One member threatened to vote me off the committee.  However, the meeting continued without them taking a vote.

However, since then the police spoke to the chairman about my complaints, and following this contact from the police, the chairman wrote to me saying that he is calling an Extraordinary meeting to consider removing me from the committee.  (There is a regular meeting in the mean time.)   He says I brought the meeting into disrepute at the last meeting, but he doesn't say what I did, and really all I did was try to defend myself against bullying,  I didn't even raise the difficulties at the meeting, since I've been told I'm not allowed to.

Although I have tenancy rules I do not have a copy of rules for committee members although I have repeatedly asked for them, so I cannot even tell if he is adhering to the rules.   I don't have a copy of the Allotment Constitution either.

If I get put off the committee then I think they are sure to find some excuse to evict me from my plot too.  One act of injustice will encourage them to think they can get away with another, and the member who has the one next to mine seems to have wanted me off for years, and will not have been endeared to me by my involving the police and getting them to warn him about his behaviour.

Please can anyone help???

Thanks!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Problems with allotment committee
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 19:35:30 »
First of all you must keep records of all incidents. Try and keep a paper trail of letters, e-mails, tape recordings, photos etc.
You really need legal advice, try citizens advice. There is legislation which applies to allotments. "The prevention of harassment Act 1997" , google it. It is a civil law rather than criminal law and you would need a solicitor. Maybe a threatening legal letter to the perpertrater of the harassment. Three of our members have obtained an interim injunction under the above act against two officials, but it is expensive and it has not stopped the harassment, so it will be going back to court, as the officials have not obeyed the court order.
I would also suggest that you offer to accept mediation along with the bullies. Some councils have free professional mediation services available.
Unless your constitution has anything about bringing the meeting into disrepute, this is a non-starter. You have rights under the human rights act, which a lawyer would advice you about.
Sadly, harassment seems to be quite common on allotments.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 20:46:48 »
Fellow gardener, while I am shocked that such bitching is affecting your enjoyment, I , personally ,would try to make a lateral move. Ring the City council and speak with the Officer who is responsible for the plot you rent. Suggest that you should get to speak with him/her face to face.Go to that meeting, seeking to get a plot elsewhere. Start off your Spring with a new challenge, get things going and then quietly relinquish your old plot. This may cost you  a double rent for 1 year , but it doubtless will be a better way to achieve your aim- growing plants.
I think that life is just too short to take the worry, angst,pain,overall hurt and grief that such pogrums cause. You may consider its running away, but the aim is to grow plants, not win a war. Good luck, I'm sure you have the moral high ground and I would expect ,the tacit support of almost every forum member.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 23:38:25 »
It is always sad when this kind of thing happens.   I rather agree with ancellsfarmer you need to look to increase your enjoyment of your plot and not get drawn into conflict.  Some people thrive on it, do not give them the pleasure. 

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:15 »
Hi while I agree that standing up to harassment is always the right thing to do it should be enjoyable going to your plot and if the harasser is a neighbour it doesn't sound like ever will be much fun I'd vote With my feet I think

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:06 »
It sounds to me like your comittee is a bit of an old men's misogynist club.  I'd do both options - keep the records, folow it through with citizen's advice and the council officer responsible for allotments.  Get him or her to attend both the normal and extraordinary committee meetings.   The bullies need to know they can't get away with it and the others need to learn they reperesent all allotment holders and need to be fair and open with everyone.  Try and find out what other allotment holders think and also you female colleague on the committee.

I would hope the original bully would at least get an order to behave or an eviction notice himself and the committee would be reminded of their duties.   

Then you can vote with your feet.

I wish you all the courage and stamina you'll need.
Obxx - Vendée France

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 13:01:28 »
Has your council got an anti social behaviour officer ?
I experienced almost a year of discusting behaviour from a neighbour and the police were not able to help me as I had no witnesses.I found help from our councils anti social behaviour officers who were able to witness the neighbours repeated verbal assaults on me, and to advise on ways to prevent her behaviour that didn't put me at any further risk.
They saved my sanity, as so  many others refused to be involved in case she turned on them.

As for the committee............try not to rise to the baits, [ difficult I know ] keep to procedures and check everything is recorded. Don't talk to your antagonizer but ask everything through the chair calmly and ask for it to be minuted, and check it has been.

Keep your own notes detailed.
Are any other allotmenteers being harassed ?
Does this bullying only happen at the allotment site ?
Ask the anti social behaviour officer to arrange mediation.
Show that you want to find a mutually acceptable answer to the problem and what has caused it.
At all times try to show that YOU are the reasonable one.
Please consider why did you originally joined the committee and if the hassle of being on the committee is really worth it.

Good Luck.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 13:02:04 »
Is your site a member of NSALG? Have you considered contacting them to support you during the EGM ? You can join as an individual member and they have a legal rep. to advise you.

An EGM is usually called not just for committee members but to all association members to present a case for expulsion from your allotment, usually for bringing the association (not the meeting or the committee) 'into disrepute', I can't see how they would prove this with the evidence you have presented here.

You must be given a copy of your sites rules and regs. from your secretary (ours are on our sites website) so you can see if they are following the correct procedure, if they don't (for example in giving you enough notice of the meeting in writing to give you enough time to defend yourself) you have them on procedural grounds, but you must find out the exact procedure first to check that.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 16:29:59 »
I'm afraid I agree with Obbelix. Vote with your feet. Its really not worth the stress and the inevitable unhappiness of trying to get justice for yourself. Your pride may be a bit bruised but you will have your sanity.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 18:10:04 »
All the people on my allotment are so friendly, helpful and nice and I just love seeing the well behaved dog on the allotment next to me, and get loads of kisses (from the dog).  In fact they are sometimes too generous to me, and give me loads of lovely produce, which I must admit I say to OH that I have grown myself, but he knows when I am telling fibs.   I love my allotment and growing stuff, but the people and the friends I have met there mean a lot to me.  So sorry to hear you are having problems.  If I had nasty people on the allotment think I would stay at home. Roll on Spring, a bit cold here today.  We have very good chats at the allotment, lucky me.  :sunny: :sunny:

Naboth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 20:25:07 »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.   I'll see what I can do regarding getting help from the council or taking legal action.

Moving isn't always feasible, as other sites tend to be further away and I have no transport.

They have not given me a copy of the committee rules (although I have asked repeatedly), and nor do i have a copy of the Constitution, and therefore I have no idea whether they are following correct procedure.   I intend to try and get it.

Although the original bullying started with a tenant on the next plot, it is now the committee chairman trying to get me off the committee, so no good asking them to mediate!   He's evidently already decided his side.

I do seem to have a fair amount of evidence, particularly against the original perpetrator, but I really could do with some legal help... free!

Thanks for suggestions!

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 21:26:38 »
If your council has an anti social behaviour officer they will mediate.
I thought they only dealt with neighbour disputes for people living in social housing........they don't. They are there to help everyone, fairly.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 19:03:33 »
Naboth, where is your plot located and who is your council?

Digmore.

Naboth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 00:23:06 »
Dibmore,

It is in Derby.  We had the meeting, but I haven't been given the outcome yet.   I think it is a foregone conclusion that they've voted me off the committee.

They said I had brought the meeting into disrepute in October, and apparently the way in which I did this was to complain to the Council and the police about problems!   

Rather adding insult to injury, considering that I 'd been told not to raise the dispute at the committee.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal