Author Topic: Best tips for minimising work please  (Read 2572 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Best tips for minimising work please
« on: October 25, 2013, 00:30:28 »
I have a friend who likes her allotment but is rather busy. 

What are your best tips for minimising work?  (I have already suggested mulching.)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 00:37:09 by Digeroo »

pumkinlover

Re: Best tips for minimising work please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:29:18 »
I am going to try beds, we are putting pavers down, but someone on the allotment uses that woven plastic mulch.
Having smaller area but grows more intensely so less space for weeds.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 16:35:00 »
Cover unused areas with thick cardboard until you cultivate. Hoe frequently. Plant a little closer together than maybe recommended, cuts space for weeds to grow! And yes, mulch.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 16:38:53 »
Yes I use raised beds and membrane for paths. It means that I can tackle a specific area at a time and dont have to worry too much about weedy paths. That said my allotment is looking very weedy at the moment - two weeks holiday and a couple of weekends of rain.....Still I have winter to sort it out again.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 16:50:08 »
Delegation - kids, nieces, nephews etc.   :icon_cheers:
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 17:33:59 »
Grow perennials- artichokes, asparagus, fruit.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:05 »
Plant through membrane for some things - like strawberries. Or use (and re-use) thick membrane with holes cut in for larger plants.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:24:39 »
IF she is to busy for the allotment THEN GIVE IT UP!!!
its a full time hobby, there are NO SHORTCUTS.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 15:33:53 »
IF she is to busy for the allotment THEN GIVE IT UP!!!
its a full time hobby, there are NO SHORTCUTS.

That is a bit harsh, she might be temporarily too busy. To say it is a full time hobby is also a bit strong, using some techniques do cut down the work and still allow you to crop while putting in just a few hours a week. You do have to put in some time though to establish the things that save time later such as putting down weed suppressant.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 16:56:23 »
Bit Harsh Jim..  The busy time is the summer so there is quite a long day that one can do the "Job" first, be it as a housewife or normal work then pop down for a few hours afterwards. .

I know you do need to spend a lot of time at the plot but you can make do with limited time if you have to.  In my first year I had loads of spare time and spent a few hours each day at the plot and most of the weekends. Then I got another part time job and now can only spend a limited time most evenings in the summer during the week and a few at weekends as I also work Sat.. Sundays is a very busy time for me now at the plot. In the summer I did go every second afternoon after work to reap the harvest and do some weeding and maintenance etc.

To keep the dreaded weeding down to a minimum I now plant a load of stuff through holes about 3" diameter in weed fabric.. I use the porous sort of poly propylene woven type so water goes through very well. I now use it for strawberries, courgettes / squashes, onions, sweetcorn, leeks and this season will also use it for my garlic, broad beans, brassicas, outdoor tomatoes.

I also lay down scaffold planks to use as pathways between rows of peas and between veg types so I can also do any hand weeding  as required because I do get some weeds through the holes.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal