Author Topic: Using silverware daily  (Read 2172 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Using silverware daily
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:54:34 »
My general cutlery is a very good top of the line Stainless steel and I am sick of it, some bits have got mlost over the years and I want to replace it but...

I have 3 full canteens of silverware, all different, all really good silver plate and all sets for 12 with every other optional piece for twelve too..it seems silly to go and buy stuff when I have this but wonder how it will stand up to everyday wear. It goes in the dishwasher but I am not about to start polishing it regularly too. Does anyone know?

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Using silverware daily
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 16:24:36 »
I dunno but maybe you should spend another night with ACE because he has just bought a new posh dinner service with silver bits on it.  :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: He might be able to help you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 16:30:22 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 16:28:44 »
I have been to Christmas dinners, where a lot of effort has been put into cooking great food, only for it to be spoiled by the insistence that the best silver cutlery is used.
I find silverware really taints the food, stainless steel is far superior.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 16:47:59 »
I dunno but maybe you should spend another night with ACE because he has just bought a new posh dinner service with silver bits on it.  :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: He might be able to help you.

NO. NO. NO. pinched my half of the quilt and snored all night :angel11:

Get down the charity shop and grab a cheap handful of cutlery. Then have a knife from one set a fork from the other and if you are a pudding pig two spoons from another, wrap each place up fancy in a napkin. Nobody checks if they are all from the same set when they have their noses in the trough. Keep the silver locked away especially if you have friends like mine :happy7:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 19:08:50 »
I find silverware really taints the food, stainless steel is far superior.

Wonder if its because the silverware has been polished with brasso prior to putting out on table.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 19:26:35 »
Well..if these were mine I'd decide which was good, which was better and which is (for) best. So thats Mon-Friday, Sat & Sunday, and Weddings, Christmas, Special Anniversaries and visits by Royalty.
 Sorted.
You may interested in this account for maintenance:
Plated silver cutlery, and other "plate", often known by its true title as EPNS (ElectroPlatedNickel Silver)
#http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/help/product_care/Cutlery/EPNS

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 22:16:46 »
Lots of laughs here, panic not ACE, one night with you is enough for any woman, Mrs Ace deserves a medal!!

My three sets are all top of the line stuff , they were meant to be a bit of a legacy.Everything down to carvers and pie servers is in every set!!

My everyday is set is OK, full set for 12 with all the fixings too but I fancied a change.

I have had some meals where the silverware tasted but it shouldn't if cleaned well and washed after cleaning just polished it would leave a taste. Mine actually doesn't need polishing, they are all in tarnish free boxes and they work very well, I haven't polished them for years and they are bright and shiny but they would tarnish if I put them in the usual drawer.

Thanks for the link I will check that out too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:18 »
When I was working as housekeeper in a rather posh house, the silver had to be polished once a month and it was brasso that was used, and you don't rub to hard in case the silver stamp and monogram faded, we then hand washed it never put it in the dish washer! larger items were wrapped in green baize and put in a dark place, it was hard work.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal