Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Allotment Committees

<< < (2/5) > >>

busy_lizzie:
Thanks for all your comments. DJ your Committee sounds like heaven to me, I want to be on it.  :D  Teresa, would love to do all you suggest and have already made similar suggestions to no avail.  Think I have come to the conclusion that our Society is a very dyed in the wool traditional one, and I have come into it with ideas totally out of step with the dominant majority. They just don't want to create any sort of community spirit. So I have made my mind up to resign (after thinking things over half the night)  and will get back to my plot and dig instead of struggling with the committee.  thanks for all your support.   :( busy_lizzie

wardy:
Busy Lizzi       oh knickers to the old so and so's  >:(  Have your own open day!  They'd be dead jealous when they saw what a lovely time you were having ;D   Yeh, it seems some folk are like us - they don't want to spread the lotty message.  You'd have thought though as your committee that what they're expected to do.  Why else are they there?  It's a pity you can't get some like-minded plotters on the committee as well and boot the lazy ones off.  Good luck  :)

Derek:
There are three sites in the Borough which form an Association of sorts affiliated to NASALG...this means that only a small proportion of allotment holders from each of the sites are members.

On my particular site there is no committee, no interest in forming one, turned down self management a couple of years ago. They moan individually so nothing happens...sad as its a great site.

The Council are pretty easy going but trying to get things done on the site is almost impossible...no cash. As we don't have a committee, constition etc. we cannot apply for grants.

I guess apathy rules!

Derek

wardy:
Derek   Our allotments have been in a couple of recent issues of the NSALG mag!  They got funding for a large shed to use as a shop.  It's great!  One of the drawbacks of getting funding though is the flaming paperwork that comes afterwards.  We're forever filling returns in that it's become a bind. They want to collect stats about who benefits from the grant and exact details of users eg their sex and ethnicity and who used the facility and when and what hours of the day.  It just goes on and on.  So think before you apply for funding  ;D

moonbells:
Busy Lizzie -
I made a similar offer a couple of years ago at the AGM for my allotment's tenants.  My point was that if they wanted young folk to take on plots, they should talk the right language and that's the language of the web these days.  Previously all publicity was paper in the local library.
One of the councillors took my email and got back to me, and after a few months batting text about I put up some pages for our sites and how folk could get hold of a plot. I have just updated it with PDFs of the allotment newsletters and this year's dates of shows/meetings etc.

It can work.  It's findable with Google now. I have no idea if anyone has found it via that route but at least it's there.

Has any of your committee heard of PR? Just because you have a waiting list doesn't mean that the community shouldn't hear what you're about: it might just ensure the lotties' long term survival. Are you a council lottie?  If you are, then you need to do an open day in order to show folk where some of their council tax is going...  public accountability and all that. 

Good luck

moonbells

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version