Author Topic: Rust on my pear tree.  (Read 1585 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
Rust on my pear tree.
« on: October 12, 2013, 16:56:41 »
Hi all,

I have found rust on my pear tree I have got rid of all the rust spotted leaves but haven't taken of any branches. I don't really know what I am looking for with regards to damage there.

The tree is about 14 years old, I bought it as a two year old tree. It hasn't fruited at all this year, it normally does.

Is there anything else I should do or is it the beginning of the end for my lovely tree.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Rust on my pear tree.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 20:07:40 »
Are there any Juniper bushes anywhere near your tree? Serious question by the way not frivolous.
Gardening is the great leveller.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:54:53 »
I don't have any Juniper in my garden nor do next door,  I can't see over the fence the other side though.  I am wondering if someone has taken out a pear tree near by as that would account for the lack of fruit.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:47:15 »
If there are no Juniper bushes close by then Pear rust is less likely. The rust needs to move from Pear trees to Junipers to complete its life cycle.
A picture of the problem might help see what it is. Scab is as likely as anything. For that you spray with a systemic fungicide according to the info on the packet.
As to lack of fruit, our pears were very poor in number this year, the big (like 60 feet tall) Perry pear had none, first time in 20 years. Blame the weather.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 13:27:04 »
I don't have an account to upload photos to any where but it is definitely rust,  at least according to my fruit and veg book. The marks on the leaves are orange with a black centre it is on the pear tree on the next road as well I noticed today although that one has a lot of fruit on it. I hope it is just weather that had affected my fruit production this year.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 16:14:34 »
Then there must be Juniperus sabina somewhere in the vicinity.

The fungus causing pear rust is, like all rusts, a biotroph: it feeds on the living cells of the host plant over an extended period without killing it. It is not able to survive on dead plant material, so must either alternate with a different, perennial host, or produce resting spores to pass the dormant season. Pear rust alternates between pears and junipers.

On pears, the brown fungal growths produced on the underside of infected leaves release spores which cannot reinfect pear, but instead are wind-dispersed and infect several juniper species, causing perennial stem infections. In spring these produce orange, horn-like outgrowths, which in turn produce wind-blown spores that reinfect pears.

Having a perennial host, like juniper, enables the fungus to survive those periods when the alternate host is absent (if it is an annual) or dormant and leafless (as with pears) although this particular rust can also form perennial cankers on the bark of pear as well.

Removing all the infected leaves and burning them and finding a suitable fungicide seems to be the only way forward.
Hope you manage it Nothing nicer they tell me than  a home grown fresh pear. (I am allergic to them so dare not eat one.).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 20:23:03 »
I get rust on my pears; it never seems to do much harm so I leave it.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 17:05:28 »
I think I will just see how it goes next year. Thanks both.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal