Author Topic: Camelia woes!!  (Read 2090 times)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Camelia woes!!
« on: March 15, 2005, 21:55:19 »
3 or 4 years ago we bought 2 Camellias and gave 1 to my wife's folks. We didn't realise how sorry ours has become until we noticed theirs with huge buds and beautiful, glossy green foliage at the weekend.
The only difference is ours is in a pot and theirs is in a border (both with Ericaceous compost in) but the difference in condition is staggering. Our foliage is green, so I don't suspect a PH problem, but then I'm not sure. The compost does dry out quickly as it doesn't seem to have a high humus content. My questions are:-

a) Does anyone know what I can add to ericaceous compost to increase water retention without affecting the PH?

b) What should th PH be ideally, as I will buy a testing kit to check? 

c) What is it best to feed Camellias with?

d) does location affect them?

The only other obvious thing is it may be pot bound I guess so I will investigate that. Thanks for any help!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Camelia woes!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 22:06:09 »
I do believe drying out is a problem and can be one of the reasons they shed buds.  You should only water it with rain water and you can buy ericaceous feed with sequested iron to boost it up.  Also I beleive you can now buy acidic composts - didn't Carol Klien use some on Gardeners World last week....composted braken I think.  Maybe get hold of something like this to enrich the potting compost and mulch the pot with it.  I don't know what the pH should be, I gave up on camelias a long time ago, not because I don't like them, I adore them, but they need more care than I can currently provide them with.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 23:46:38 »
They also don't like the frost and end up with brown tinged flowers, you have to protect them to prevent this. (I use fleece)
I have a "Debbie" in a pot, which has to be re-potted on a reguar basis, and fed with ericacious feed.  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 23:54:28 »
Thank you ladies!!
I will buy some sequestered? iron feed tomorrow and give it a whirl  :)

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 23:56:48 »
Does mushroom compost tend to be either acid or alkaline?
Just a thought!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:06:03 »
Hi all I can add is dont have them facing the morning sun as its rising this with frost on the leaf is not good will burn the leaves and dont do the flowers any good either.
sequestion is great boost for any shrub with yellowing leaves and as yours is in a pot treat for vine weevils prenvention is better than lossing the plant?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 12:56:21 »
Don't use mushroom compost - packed with lime which is alkaline.   :o

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 19:45:45 »
Thanks folks,

I have just bought a sequestered iron feed for it  :) :)

EJ thanks, I knew it was one or the other!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal