Author Topic: Manual lawnmowers: Recomendations please!  (Read 1266 times)

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
Manual lawnmowers: Recomendations please!
« on: October 05, 2013, 15:41:18 »
I need to get hold of a manual lawnmower (One that doesn't need a mains feed or petrol to operate) and was wondering if anybody could recommend a model?

I have a grassed area around the lottie shed that needs to be kept in check, but I will also use the mower to cut the lawn at home. The lawn at home is around 16ft by 45ft and gets quite boggy during wet spells (A brook runs under the lawn) so it would need to be able to cut when the ground gets heavy (Some of the mowers I have looked seem to be, shall we say, put together cheaply!)

Thanks in advance

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Manual lawnmowers: Recomendations please!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 19:18:48 »
That sounds like a bit of a challenge.  The traditional roller mower is really intended for nice lawns, and won't cope well with boggy ground, nor the rough and tumble of an allotment.  So you'll need a wheeled push mower.

I've no personal experience, but the Which? web site recommends two "best buys" in this category.

If you're after a beautiful lawn then a cylinder mower that scissor cuts the grass is an ideal choice. The Novocut 64 from Husqvarna is a large hand-push cylinder mower. Find out if it will leave you with an immaculate lawn.

The Husqvarna Novocut 64 is quick to cover the ground thanks to its wider 41cm cutting blade, and gives a neat finish on a family lawn.
What is it?

A large, hand-push cylinder mower with a 41cm cutting width and variable cutting heights.
What is it great at?

This robust mower copes well with cutting both long and damp grass and collected the clippings reasonably well. It has a wide range of cutting heights and gave an impressively neat cut on short grass. The cutting-height adjuster is very easy to use.
Is there anything I should watch out for?

This is a big lawnmower that takes quite a bit of effort to push. Its size makes it less manoeuvrable than most other push mowers. Although the grass collector is effective, it's tricky to remove and refit and it's awkward to carry when emptying.
Is there anything else I should know?

It doesn't come with a grass collector - you'll need to buy this separately for about £15.
Should I buy it?

If your lawn is a regular shape then this large push mower is a good choice. But if you prefer a lighter machine, the Brill Razorcut Premium 33 is worth considering.

Pros: a quick and efficient cut for larger lawns

Cons: not the easiest to push round the lawn

The Brill Razorsharp Premium 33 is a light cylinder mower. We find out how it copes with both long and damp grass.

The Brill Razorsharp Premium 33 is an easy mower to use and a good choice for a typical, regularly cut, small family lawn. It makes a decent job of cutting through both long and damp grass.
What is it?

A light cylinder mower with a 33cm cutting width and a roller to give you a striped lawn. It doesn't come with a collection box.
What is it great at?

This is a really easy lawnmower to use. It's light and gives a reasonable cut on a standard family lawn. It deals with damp and long grass easily, too.

The handle is comfortable and it requires little effort to manoeuvre and push the mower around the lawn. The grass catcher is really simple to remove and refit, and it's also easy to carry thanks to a useful handle. Unlike the other mowers we've tested, the handle folds twice for neat storage.
Is there anything I should watch out for?

While the grass catcher was reasonably efficient, it didn't manage to collect all the clippings, so the overall finish wasn't as good as it could have been. What's more, the grass catcher isn't included with the lawnmower - you'll need to buy it separately (for about £28). However, if you're happy to mow regularly you can leave the clippings on the lawn as a mulch.

Adjusting the cutting height is slightly tricky on this lawnmower and it's awkward to carry, though fairly light.
Is there anything else I should know?

The lowest cut is 14mm - not low enough for a fine, ornamental lawn.

It's a light lawnmower, so the stripes it leaves can look faint.
Should I buy it?

If you have a small lawn and want a push mower, this is light and easy to use.

Pros: very easy to use

Cons: adjusting the cutting height is slightly awkward

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Manual lawnmowers: Recomendations please!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 21:05:07 »
Take a look on E Bay you will never know you just might find what you are after at a bargin price
m j gravell

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal