Author Topic: Something new for 2014?  (Read 17123 times)

Floyds

• Not So New ...
Re: Something new for 2014?
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 17:01:28 »
Not really - it does say most, but not all, of the nitrogen is taken up with seed production.  A plant can only use so much nitrogen.  It doesn't say there is none - it doesn't say dead and useless.  Also leaving the roots and digging them in means you are not removing valuable organic matter from the soil and really, who would go to the trouble to dig the roots out and dispose of them - much better left in the soil.
Anyway I think these look interesting for next year - 2.69 for 6 seeds is ok if it produces 25 fruit a plant but they look good for a roast dinner.

I would. In order to decompose they are going to use up any nitrogen they might have leached into the soil. Much better to leave that nitrogen where it is and compost the roots and recycle them that way in my experience. But apart from that I think we have both interpreted the research correctly, well nearly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 17:04:11 by Floyds »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 17:28:57 »
I would. In order to decompose they are going to use up any nitrogen they might have leached into the soil.

It is possible but I doubt it - do you have any data to back that up.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 17:35:36 »
Enough already, we are losing this thread to bits of nitrogen,come on guys it is about new for next year.. Tut Tut. Moan over.

BarriedaleNick. I love the idea of that winter squash but you know I have never quite trusted T&M as I know they give their own names to things. It is interesting that so far it has not shown up with US or Canadian T&M, this is typical of their renamed stuff. Winter squash Buffy is here at 100 seeds for $5.95(not T&M) it is also a mini squash, same shape, same Buff colour but there is no mention of the number of fruit per plant, I don't think it is the same variety though as it seems to be a little bigger than a tennis ball at 1lb plus. Buffy is described as a vining plant bit I don't think there was any mention of that with the Buffy Ball. Very interesting. I have not kept up with my squash data over the last two or three years so I am a bit out of date but I will try and find out a bit more if I can.  I would like to think it is a bush but I think that would be in big letters if it was as T&M never miss a marketing idea so matter how vague they choose to be with some things. Are you going to grow it?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 17:42:40 »
Fair Point Jeannine - deffo off topic ill shut up - apologies!
I am no fan of the evil empire either so I may check into your Buffy (if it is available).  As there is just the two of us I was looking for a smaller variety that we could cook and eat in one session.  This year some of my butternuts are over 7lbs and tasty as they are they sit around with my cutting bits out of them for a couple of weeks.  They don't really even fit in the fridge!
Anyone got a good roasting smaller squash that they would recommend?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 18:02:28 »
Wow, I got a guy to shut up, I should try that again, I might even get good at it!!!

If you are looking for small fruit, it is kinda what I am doing this year too and I am trying to do it with just bush ones. Now I remember some years ago putting a post on about bush winter squash but when I don't know but I think there was quite a decent list.Of course there will be some new ones since then.

What about Gold Nugget, 10 to a plant 1-1 1/2 lbs and bush.

Butterbush  a little butternut 4-5 per plant same size as above, bush

Honey Bear  acorn.1 1/4 lbs 3-4 plant bush

Honeyboat delicata type 8 per plant 1 1/2 lb. bush

There are more but this is off the top of my head.

I might order some Buffy, the company that has them will ship to Canada with a sanitary certificate but I can have them shipped to my US address which is a drive away so try to do a few things at a time. I will let you know if and when I get them and share.. I definitely  have Gold Nugget now  and maybe a few  Butterbush , not certain on that one, but you are welcome to some if I have.

I swore I would not buy seeds this year and here I go, giant tomatoes yesterday and squash coming up...

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Floyds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 18:25:36 »
Well Jeannine the thread was diverted after a discussion about me growing beans and peas next year so hardly off topic and this is a information forum.
I'll have the last word on the topic of nitrogen if you don't mind. So you haven't shut me up  :tongue3:

BarriedaleNick it's a general known fact that plants use nitrogen to decompose I'm surprised you need evidence to corroborate it. Whether they would use up the nitrogen they produce I guess that it is highly likely, ecological equilibrium and all that.  Anyway each to their own way of gardening, and with that I'll zip up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 18:34:26 by Floyds »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 19:11:26 »
If you can't get Wizard, let me know, Artichoke. I have a few that I don't need. I haven't really thought about next year, apart form hoping my back's properly sorted in time for the new season!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 19:19:40 »
Many thanks for the info on the different cultivars Jeannine and thanks for the offer of seeds - Ill have a butchers at them and see what they are like.  I must admit to being a bit lazy with squashes and tend to grow what I know so it will be a change next year.

I might even plant them where I had my peas last year where I am sure they will benefit!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 20:30:16 »
Robert, that is a very kind offer. What could I possibly send you in return? You don't want a carefully packed tiny date palmlet, I suppose.....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 20:31:54 »
I fancied Buffy's  too along with Fictor F1 and Walnut F1 Butternut", trouble is I went on  http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/ and spotted a couple more!!!!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2013, 22:27:28 »
Br careful if thinking about Buffy,s there are three using that word which I presume denotes colour, Buffy Ball which started this discussion, Buffy and Buffy Gold which is a butternut

Barrie.....  I am using my bean fence this year to grow just a couple of trailing ones.

Now can someone tell me about these Wizard peas, they sound a bit odd.

Jayb you are a very naughty girl, you know that don't you :blob7:

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 23:03:43 by Jeannine »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2013, 23:41:29 »
I have figured out the Wizard pea..LOL a field bean XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 06:24:02 »
Wow, I'm going to try that onion trick, both of them. We did so much new stuff, oca, yacon, amaranth, ildi toms, and haven't even harvested loads that I can't even think of next year yet  :toothy10:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2013, 06:40:13 »
This year I have grown Butternut Napoli and some of them are huge, the biggest is 14.5 kg (32 lbs in old money), so yes it will be difficult to keep it once started so I am looking for something smaller for next year.  I have just found another two, being dark they escape being seen. 

Has anyone grown Autumn crown, a cross between a butternut and crown prince?

I have tried carrot Jeannine F1 they came from Lidl, they were a bit hit with the deer so presume it is a particularly good flavour.  :BangHead:   May try again with netting.   It seems so odd to have to net carrots. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2013, 06:51:12 »
Our sweet dumpling are looking really good. Don't know what they taste like yet but each one is enough for a meal  :happy7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2013, 07:32:26 »
Manics I am sure you know this but the for the benefit of someone nit so familiar with squash don't eat them until they have been stored at least six weeks, folks often do and are disappointed at the flavour, but it needs that 6 weeks for them to develop  their sweetness which they do in  storage

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:14 »
Thank you, Jeannine.
They are new to us so I didn't know  :happy7:

Floyds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2013, 13:28:06 »
I have figured out the Wizard pea..LOL a field bean XX Jeannine

Wizard pea?
If you can cross a bean with a pea I'll have some.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 19:01:30 »
PM me your address, Artichoke, and I'll get you some in the post. They're in the allotment shed but I can soon get them back.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 13:36:21 »
Galina ... I have tried the same this year - but with spring onions ... and it works for me - even better than planting from seeds!

I didn't pull mine up after that ... simply snipped them off with a pair of scissors at ground level and the magic spring onion trick starts all over again!

SqueezyJohn, thank you for giving us your experience of this growing method. 

We were away for a few days and already it seems that the stumps have rooted (just like you said, that they would root easily) and there is 4 inches of top growth.  Looks like a wide-leafed chive growing out of the stump rather than a new onion, but we will see where that goes.  Just wanted to let you know there is progress.  Maybe this experiment is for 2013 and 14  rather than just for next year :happy7:  I didn't expect anything to happen that fast, but was very hopeful after your post.

That's the sort of knowledge you don't get from books and not from the seed industry  :wave:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 13:38:31 by galina »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal