Author Topic: Ducks at auction  (Read 2391 times)

digmore

• Half Acre
Ducks at auction
« on: September 23, 2013, 21:38:31 »
Bought 3 young Khaki Campbell ducks today at local auction, appear to be in bad physical condition and also very scared. Felt sorry for them (moment of madness). Got them home and they disappeared behind the bamboo in the corner of the gdn. Managed to get them out and into the green house for the night. Ducks are a first for us, hoping they will mix in with 5 new chix and 1 old one.

Has anyone got exp. with similar ducks, would be grateful for input.

Digmore.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Ducks at auction
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 22:13:13 »
Oh dear, Khaki s are my favorites too.

I do wonder as they are the best egg layers,if they have been penned up in the hope that they could  be used for that purpose  and are afraid of the freedom now. Do you know their sex? How young are they?

I would feed them up as quick as you can . They are very gentle friendly ducks, although tend to be shy, so probably will come round if given some good grub and some attention.

Good luck, ah I feel sad now but glad you have them

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 22:15:44 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:46:32 »
They will calm down. Just imagine that you have been taken from your home, shoved in different boxes/crates waited around while strange faces viewed you. Then let out into an alien landscape. Hand feeding will get them used to you. A difference hutch than the chickens to sleep in otherwise the hens will crap all over them. Make sure they have some water to wash off with, just a bowl sunk in the ground will do for now. Cut the flight feathers on one wing as they will soon be off.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:14:26 »
I love duck eggs, lovely taste, terribly fattening.

Hope they calm down.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal