Author Topic: Where does charity begin?  (Read 5415 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Where does charity begin?
« on: September 20, 2013, 19:15:21 »
I've always been quite proud of the fact that our site has raised many
thousands of pounds for charity over the past 7 or 8 years.  All the proceeds from our
Summer Fayre have been donated to Macmillan and the Air Ambulance.

However, I've been made aware that some plot holders are not happy about
this.  They think that we should use the money we raise to repair the sheds
(council owned) which I have to admit, do need repairing.  (The Council's rules
say that tenants are responsible for maintaining the sheds in good condition
but very few tenants do this.)

I think we are very lucky on our site to have such a lot of facilities for plot holders
to use - pavilion with kitchen and toilet, veranda outside it with tables and chairs,
toilet block outside, Stores, large community greenhouse, regular newsletters,
regular emails, information notices.  This year we obtained a Lottery grant to have
our main drive re-surfaced.

I don't know how many plot holders are not happy, but it's probably a good few.

We have a 'Summer Fayre Group' which organises it every year and I suppose I
should mention it to them, and ask if they think we should raise money for charity
or for the site.

If they decide it should be for the site - then I will not be part of it any more.

I would be interested to hear what others think.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Where does charity begin?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 19:36:07 »
Perhaps you could suggest that those who want to raise money for the site organise an alterative event.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 20:13:53 »
What about applying for a grant? I assume that you mean the sheds which are all central- not the ones on each plot or is it both?
As we all have to provide our own sheds or do without it is such a strange concept that you have so many facilities, it seems to be taken for granted to me!
Most people seem to like to fundraise for charity, I suspect that the people who help  may not be as enthusiastic for "Fred's shed fund" nor the public so willing to come and donate or buy stuff, also it is not fair on the ones who do look after their sheds.
Having come myself a couple of years ago with a friend I do not think I would have spent £20 on a train ticket to come to "Walsall Road Charity open day in aid of Fred's shed fund" it's just not got the same ring to it!
ETA- just remind them it is their responsibility to look after the sheds not anyone elses!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 20:26:48 »
I am not sure that I understand the set up.  I am assuming that there is a group/team that organise the summer fayre.  Well I think if that is the case then you should tell the group what you have heard and then let them get on with it. If you are part of the team then I think you should follow what the team wish to do.

I know it sounds hard but if you walk away in a huff then you may lose any influence you have on the whole of the site. There is still the next year in which plot holders may wish to go back to external charities. As Digeroo says there could be another fayre organised by another group.

You have mentioned that some sheds are not maintained by the plot holders.  Is there something in the rental agreement that requires them to do so (you have mentioned rules)?  If that is the case then why is that not enforced?  I don't suppose that those "murmuring" about the charities aren't those that have sheds that need repair?  Perhaps they need some sort of help?  Perhaps there needs to be some sort of approach to the council about the handing over of sheds when a new tenant takes over the rent.  Sorry you may already have considered this.  I mention this because the actions you are seeing may be the symptoms of a problem and not the poblem itself.  Have those that are unhappy been approached to be part of the Summer fayre?

Whatever happens I wish you the best not easy to deal with.

regards Bill Door

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 21:24:52 »
I believe that any group who raises money should be free to raise for whatever cause they want and if folks don't want to participate then that it their choice too. If it is made clear well before the event where the money is going then everyone is doing the right thing.

There are causes that I would join in on as an organizer and there are those that I would not, so I would support your decision to withdraw if the  cause was changed as it was not what you agreed to participate in. I think it would be very sad if you had to do that as your heart is clearly in the cause.

I would not see that as going off in a huff at all, simply exercising your choice to participate or not as the others should do.

Good Luck, it's a tough one.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 21:40:01 »
It seems to be a bit confusing, they are Council sheds, but they don't have to maintain them.  Does this mean the Council sheds are on individual allotments and the tenants have to maintain them.  If the tenants have to maintain them, why are they asking for money.  I am on a Council site and we are not allowed sheds, but the 2 toilets are maintained by the Council and we pay our fees to the Council, so such services as water (which is extra on the bill from the Council) and the grass around the allotments is cut, and we had new fences which the Council provided. If the sheds are rented from the Council and they have to be in good condition, surely that is up to the plot holder who agreed to this when they took the plot on.  I am confused of Enfield.  Well done to you for raising money for charity, and if I were me, I would really be p.ssed of by it all.  Is this the same site that the man moaned about toilet paper, my allotment was brilliant today, lovely people, but a bit basic, no sheds, but very grateful for the two toilets in a building which the Council refurbished with a sink and lovely new toilets which flush without getting a shower. 

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 22:26:26 »
How are you going to repair the sheds if you don't fund raise?

Isn't this the sort of thing you as a committee agree each year?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 00:34:56 »
We have a similar situation on our site and I think it is a case of;

You won't please all of the people all of the time!

We started collecting money at our various functions with no particular plan for its use!

Then we decided( democratically by voting) that we would use the money to re- skin the communal tunnel !

Where the trouble lies is; the tunnel is being used by about half a dozen people meaning that the rest of the plot holders are not receiving any benefit from the fund, so there are a few 'mutterings' going round the plot about this!

Consequently the income has dropped this year, so at our last get together we decided to ring fence an amount of money to skin the tunnel and that's it so far as the tunnel is concerned.

The plan is they who use the tunnel will fund its upkeep  and any money raised by the 'site fund' will be used for other causes!........but what?  ......so I guess each time money is used from the fund we will get the same or similar problems!

So as I said;

You will please some of the people some of the time!

I think when a fund is initiated everyone should be aware what it is for, and once that target is achieved it should be spent or ring fenced until required, and then another fund and its purpose is set up!

So all i have to say is; best of luck with your deliberations and I hope the issue is resolved soon!

But I won't hold my breath!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 08:30:10 »
Does it have to be black or white?

For example, is it feasible to decide each year where the money should go ... site stuff this year ... nominated charities next year?

Or possibly x% for site stuff y% to charity each year?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 13:09:49 »
We have to repair our own sheds but the council still take money off shed holders every year, it should be a one off payment but not so. Betty put a list up for peeps to put their ideas down, so you know how many people want shed repairs, I bet there's not many. Approach the council about help with repairs as mentioned above. As an after thought, get the all the ones who want shed repairs and get them to run something similar to your summer fayre group and see if they can raise some money that they can choose where the proceeds go. :wave:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 13:16:33 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:05 »
I agree with BAK - why not half and half?
We are an association, and while the council provides us with some things, other things we need to pay for which we do through the fee and through fund raising.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:02 »
Maybe you need to go a step back and come up with a plan for the sheds first, separate from the Charity events.

If individual plotholders have exclusive use of a shed, be it on or off their plot, it is not unreasonable to ask them to maintain it.

If they say no, then they lose the shed if it is central or can demolish it if it is on their plot.

How much is it going to cost to get someone in to replace all the doors/fix the roofs etc?  Is it worth it?  You might find that half the site then say it's too much to justify for the benefit.

Edited to add: I meant "you" as in the site committee.  Or the committee with the Council.  Not the Summer Fayre Group.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:24:56 by Ellen K »

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:02:05 »
Thanks for all the replies.

I waited till today so I could add a photo of the blocks of sheds which are
the main cause for complaint.

There are five blocks like this one on the site, making a total of 54
sheds. There are also 42 wooden sheds on plots like the one on
our website http://www.growit.btck.co.uk/About%20us

The sheds in blocks are in much worse condition than the wooden sheds.

All the sheds are owned by the council, tenants pay an extra £1 per year
to rent them.

The council rules say -

11.           Council Chalets, Greenhouses and Tool Lockers
11.1    Where such structures are rented from the Council, Tenants must not move, demolish or alter the chalet or greenhouse but    must keep them in good repair at all times and in particular must make good any defect or repair within one month of the Council giving the Tenant a notice specifying the repair required. Tenants are also responsible for the repair of tool lockers.
11.2    In the third year after the Allotment Garden is let to a Tenant and every third year thereafter, the Tenant must apply a coat   of wood preservative to the chalet.

I think the best idea would be have a separate fund-raising group to raise
money for shed repairs.  Maybe if the people whose sheds are in need
of repair (most of them) realised that they would benefit, they might help
out. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 17:57:22 »
Betty,
It's an interesting dilema you have. The responsibility for maintenance of Council supplied sheds must be laid down somewhere?
If I had the 'luxury' of a shed I would treat it as my own, maintain it and it will last for many years - don't wait for the Council to do it for you!
Looking at the pic., I am very concerned that the roofing looks suspicious. It's not asbestos cement fcs??
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 18:12:28 »
Betty,
It's an interesting dilema you have. The responsibility for maintenance of Council supplied sheds must be laid down somewhere?
If I had the 'luxury' of a shed I would treat it as my own, maintain it and it will last for many years - don't wait for the Council to do it for you!
Looking at the pic., I am very concerned that the roofing looks suspicious. It's not asbestos cement fcs??

I know what you mean telboy.  The council rules do say that the sheds should be kept in good repair,
but as far as I know, the council has never given anyone notice asking them to do it.

I hope the roof isn't asbestos, how would we tell?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 19:59:51 »

I don't think it is!

Looking through the cracks in the first shed (left) I think the sheets are transparent, suggesting the roof is covered in translucent plastic sheeting!

If they had been made of asbestos cement ( big sixes) light would be unable to pass through them!

So the question is; am I correct in saying they are transparent or semi- transparent through becoming bleached by the sun's ultraviolet rays?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 21:28:16 »
the council has never given anyone notice asking them to do it

I do not think they should have to give notice, it is clearly in the rules.

I think a separate event for the sheds would be a good idea, but what about people who have maintained their sheds, are they going to be willing to contribute?   

Presume some people have inherited run down sheds when they got a plot, so do not feel they are responsible.

Bit of a can of worms.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 22:01:19 »
There's a reasonably chance that the roofing will contain asbestos, it's only likely to be asbestos-free if they went up in the last 15 years, and they look a bit older than that.  It's not especially dangerous as sheet, you just don't want to go breaking it up on a hot dry day and turning it into dust.

If it was me Betty I'd ignore the whingers.  The charity events that you guys put on are an inspiration and something for every site in the country to aspire to.  If the sheddies can't be asked to maintain their own sheds then that's their look-out, and if they really have the brass neck to ask someone else to pay for it then fine, but they're taking the Michael if they're actually asking you to organise the whip-round for them!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 03:29:32 »
It looks like that wavy asbestos stuff but with a ceiling window in to me, there were some sheds similar to this on the old council estate I worked on and they had asbestos roofs , however the council said as it was in a sheet it wasn't so dangerous .

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:45 »
When we open for the NGS the gate money goes to them and the sales parts to us, the grumblers meant we had to cut back from two to one open day, with the main plant sale on the none NGS day... Miserable S0ds  :BangHead:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal