Author Topic: Aeron Purple Star runner beans  (Read 13439 times)

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
Aeron Purple Star runner beans
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:14:54 »
Since I posted on the original thread regarding the purple podded runner beans that I've bred, I've had loads of requests for the beans - so that others can try them.

Some PMd me others got in touch via my web site at http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk I'm very humbled, but it's becoming a bit of a task keeping up with names & addresses! I don't want to miss anyone out, especially as my seed store is not particularly great. As I've said previously it's a "first come first served" arrangement.

So I got to thinking and decided to construct a basic 'order page' so that all enquiries can be collected together in one place.

Can all those with an interest therefore go to this page by clicking on the link below please:

http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/APS-order

Just place your order & I'll take it from there. I'll let you know how much the postage is after I've sent them out to you later on - probably some time in October, after I've collected & shelled them. The beans themselves are free to good homes! The maximum I can send out to any individual is 24 (enough for 2 x 12' rows). I may have to cut that down if stocks dwindle too fast.

Many thanks for your interest everyone!

G.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Aeron Purple Star runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:44 »
You might have a problem with postage, the Post Office are getting very iffy about lumpy packets and have started charging for them as packets so it cost a large amount.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 13:01:07 »
You might have a problem with postage, the Post Office are getting very iffy about lumpy packets and have started charging for them as packets so it cost a large amount.

So there's nothing for it but camouflage!

Is that a case of 'Jiffy' bags not being sent as letter post? It might all change soon anyway - the Royal Mail is on the move towards privatisation at the moment & at the same time the workforce is threatening strikes. Perhaps it's a bad time to start shifting runner beans in packeages around the place!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 17:45:17 »
Put them between two sheets of cardboard in a strong envelope. I just had a load of broad bean varieties sent to me that way.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 18:07:18 »
Put them between two sheets of cardboard in a strong envelope. I just had a load of broad bean varieties sent to me that way.

Excellent idea - I'll definately take that little tip on board!

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 18:48:31 »
Just an update for those who've been in touch with me requesting some free bean seeds.

The request page (http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/aeronpurplestar) for the beans has worked a treat. All the orders I've received are now neatly filed automatically on my computer from the on-line form.

To date I've received 42 requests for 762 beans (up till today). They're still trickling in & the good news is I've got enough beans harvested to cover the requests (so far).

I'll be starting to send them out in the next couple of weeks.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 19:35:34 »
There you go Kev  Another welsh Man with a very giving heart. Its only in Rugby that we don't like to give anything  :toothy10:away
m j gravell

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 19:55:13 »
There you go Kev  Another welsh Man with a very giving heart. Its only in Rugby that we don't like to give anything  :toothy10:away

Sorry - I know it's a gardening forum but I couldn't resist after what 'rugbypost' just posted! He'll know the significance of the photos!

1st LOVE - Rugby
2nd LOVE Allotment Gardening (& some say I'm obsessive about gardening!)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 19:58:26 by Big Gee »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 20:25:54 »
You're further along than I am then. My runners are still green and growing, and I haven't touched the seeds.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 20:40:57 »
You're further along than I am then. My runners are still green and growing, and I haven't touched the seeds.

My guess is it's a tad milder here on the west Wales coast than inland around Birmingham, (we seldom get a lot of frost, but they do a few miles inland). So they got started a bit earlier than yours perhaps? Also the pods I'm harvesting are from the Aeron Purple Star, they have been deliberately kept for seed harvesting, so they haven't been picked throughout the season. Picking beans for eating prolongs their cropping season.

Having said that, I've also got some Armstrong runners growing well away from the APS & they're still cropping. Some of the APS pods are not mature but the majority have reached the papery pod stage so are ready for shelling.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 21:32:15 »
Ray could light up Stradey Park his contagious smile, banter, and a wicked sense of humour,He did a interview Llanelli were playing this team which I will not name well they got to half time ray gets the mike and says to him my you were a good rugby  player ,but not a great player . And his famous quote" You,ve  got to get the first tackle in early, evan if its Late. Great pictures   made me smile :happy7:     
m j gravell

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 23:47:58 »
Ray could light up Stradey Park his contagious smile, banter, and a wicked sense of humour,He did a interview Llanelli were playing this team which I will not name well they got to half time ray gets the mike and says to him my you were a good rugby  player ,but not a great player . And his famous quote" You,ve  got to get the first tackle in early, evan if its Late. Great pictures   made me smile :happy7:     

I guessed that would tick the boxes for you!

I miss Ray to this day - I sometimes think about him when I'm on my own - often on the lottie. I even have a giggle to myself sometimes when I think back to the things he used to say - often not meaning to sound funny but his innocent way of seeing and saying things would make a pig laugh! They broke the mould when he went.

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:41 »
I've put in a request today, very impressed with the site Big Gee!

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:37 »
I've put in a request today, very impressed with the site Big Gee!

Well thank you pumkinlover. If just one gardener gets something out of it and appreciates what's gone into it, then all the effort is worthwhile!

I'll be responding to your bean seed request after posting this reply.

G.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 14:06:31 »
Big Gee. Had a look at your site also. Very impressive. Will delve further when I get home. At work now and if boss catches me I'm up for extra work.  :BangHead: Catch you later boyo when I've had a good shuffty. :icon_cheers:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 14:14:50 »
Big Gee. Had a look at your site also. Very impressive. Will delve further when I get home. At work now and if boss catches me I'm up for extra work.  :BangHead: Catch you later boyo when I've had a good shuffty. :icon_cheers:

Croeso!

Wouldn't want to be responsible for adding to your workload - head down till you get home, then a nice mug of tea, slippers on and an hour on my site!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 17:18:55 »
You probably did start yours earlier than me. I left everything as late as I dared thanks to the cold spring, which was probably colder here than where you are. I'm just thankful for the mild weather now to extend the season!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 17:44:13 »
Gosh, you really are going to be busy,I see you on other sites too offering the seeds, there will be a lot of purple runners growing all around next year thanks to you. That is a lot of packing and posting, good luck!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 21:57:08 »
Gosh, you really are going to be busy,I see you on other sites too offering the seeds, there will be a lot of purple runners growing all around next year thanks to you. That is a lot of packing and posting, good luck!!

XX Jeannine

"Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days".

I have the benefit of my right arm - "Her Indoors" when it comes to packing & posting! I breed & grow 'em she ships 'em!

The joy in all of this is to bring pleasure to others freely & the thought that my little purple babies are muliplying out there and in so doing waving the flag on my efforts. What more can you ask for in life?

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 00:44:21 »
Lovely attitude. Lovely offer..

Thanks for your kindness.

Diolch yn fawr.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal