Author Topic: winter onions  (Read 2425 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
winter onions
« on: August 31, 2013, 15:04:06 »
Hi well I've put my winter onions in! then I thought was I to soon? but why would the garden centre sell them? think it a panic attack am having ,I just thought that if they get in early they will get a good root system going and may give me whoopers next year has anyone else got them in, think I'd better have a lie down. 

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
Re: winter onions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 16:02:00 »
Mine are ordered when they come I'll get them in, off on holiday first 2 weeks of October so not sure if they will arrive before I go away. However well done for advanced planting. Had broad bean and early pea seeds arrive yesterday - they are going in pots tomorrow then hopefully planted out before I go away. Take care.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 16:16:56 »
Oh good grief.... Winter already. ;)

Its not too late to sow some self-saved onion seeds, is it?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 16:37:53 »
Just started the long red florence seeds but we haven't even bought the overwinter onions yet, best get a move on  :toothy10:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 16:55:53 »
The end of September to early October is usually the best time to plant over wintering onion sets. Did you get sets?

Being a biennial plant onions can sometimes get their internal clocks messed up with periods of unseasonal hot (or cold) weather that fools them into thinking they're in the wrong season! Usually resulting in bolting the following season because they think they're in their second and last year of growth.

On the other side of the coin, in a year like this, when the soil is not cold or waterlogged they should get off to a good start - although a tad early. The biggest problem of overwintering onions is rot of the bulbs caused by being planted in cold & waterlogged soil.

I don't think your early enthusiasm warrants a panic attack though! They'll probably get there fine and you'll be munching on them in June 2014. 

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 17:17:15 »
Thanks Big Gee you explained that lovely,  they are onion sets lets hope they don't get confused as theres enough confusion with me blundering about the Lottie  :coffee2:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 17:41:04 »
Thanks Big Gee you explained that lovely,  they are onion sets lets hope they don't get confused as theres enough confusion with me blundering about the Lottie  :coffee2:

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 21:23:33 »
Hi, talking of onions... Does anyone know why my crop of onions grew alright but when I lifted them, they are kind of squat, nice and wide but not very deep.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 22:06:30 »
Hi, talking of onions... Does anyone know why my crop of onions grew alright but when I lifted them, they are kind of squat, nice and wide but not very deep.

What type were they? Stuttgarter are a flat onion..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 18:40:17 »
Late August is possibly 6 weeks early! I usually set mine 2nd week in October but because I have too many this year I am only setting Spring sets and seeds next year. For the last 3 years I have set them on 2" to 3" hills the length of the row. I saw this done in the Far East and it helps to allow the water to drain off so they do not become water logged. Lat year I set Shakespeare and Electric Red both have produced huge onions so much so that some of the Santero summer onions went over before they did. That is another reason that influenced my decision not to grow them this winter.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 19:13:14 »
I can't believe they're even selling them this early let alone planting them, I'm my humble opinion if this warm spell continues they will more than likely bolt, the temps need to drop a bit before I put them in, maybe in the next 3 to 5 weeks, there is no definite month planting any more, it all depends where you are in the country, soil and weather conditions. Two years ago in Sept/Oct it was 27c so you've just got to play it by ear.   :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal