Author Topic: Herbs for winter  (Read 2373 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Herbs for winter
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:41:19 »
Following on from the recommendation to dry a glut of chilies, here is another suggestion.  Credit for the idea goes to my mother-in-law.  Last summer she asked me for some herbs.  I thought she wanted to strike cuttings and gave her quite a lot.  Instead she dried them in the conservatory in small bunches, removed the leaves from the woody stalks, crumbled them and filled jars with them.  With a pretty label, these made nice presents.   We got one too  :toothy10:

With all the marjoram, thyme and sage at their very best on the plot or in the garden now, I thought this might interest A4Aers looking for ideas for small, personal Christmas presents.  Speaking as a cook, I certainly enjoyed using my dried marjoram in lots of recipes last winter and I have just cut and dried some for this winter.

pumkinlover

Re: Herbs for winter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 20:39:11 »
Following on from the recommendation to dry a glut of chilies, here is another suggestion.  Credit for the idea goes to my mother-in-law.  Last summer she asked me for some herbs.  I thought she wanted to strike cuttings and gave her quite a lot.  Instead she dried them in the conservatory in small bunches, removed the leaves from the woody stalks, crumbled them and filled jars with them.  With a pretty label, these made nice presents.   We got one too  :toothy10:

With all the marjoram, thyme and sage at their very best on the plot or in the garden now, I thought this might interest A4Aers looking for ideas for small, personal Christmas presents.  Speaking as a cook, I certainly enjoyed using my dried marjoram in lots of recipes last winter and I have just cut and dried some for this winter.

Do you use the flowers for the marjoram  Galina, this is what my Italian "guru" tells me.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:53:34 »
PL,

Yes, there were flowers on the plants, which I used along with the leaves.  Are the flowers supposed to be more aromatic? 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 14:06:56 »
My sage has grown amazingly this year, great idea thanks  :happy7:
I think I might make up a mixed blend of herbs too?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

singingrhubarb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:31:18 »
Last year, I bought a Severin desiccator  because there was no room in the freezer and I found it very useful. So far I've dried  herbs, carrots, onions, chillies, mushrooms and runner beans. Everything takes up so little space when it's dried.and the carrots were great months later in a stew.I've since read that they could be kept for 30 years!
It's cheap to run and helps warm the room too.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:30:43 »
PL,

Yes, there were flowers on the plants, which I used along with the leaves.  Are the flowers supposed to be more aromatic? 

I suspect that is the idea, and they seem to stay firmer and not crumble as much as the leaves. Definably feel and smell nice when come out the jar.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:40:35 »
Is there an advantage to drying or freezing sage rather than picking it during the winter?

Herb infused oils can be popular as presents as well. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal