Author Topic: White beetroot  (Read 1170 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
White beetroot
« on: August 26, 2013, 17:48:43 »
Just jarred up some white beetroot - when I say jarred I mean "jar" - havent got much growing area so far in the backgarden, but ive put my name down for a local allotment - fingers crossed.

Will let you's know how it turns out.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: White beetroot
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:17:29 »
Does it taste the same, always mean to grow some. Is it as easy as red?

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 21:15:19 »
I tried some grown by a friend once and I seem to remember it tasted about the same as red beetroot, I've tried to grow it but had no success, but there again, I never seem to have any success with any type of beetroot :(

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 22:01:35 »
Havent tried it pickled yet so will let you know. I have however had it roasted on the bbq and it was lovely - tastes very much like the normal red one. 

As for growing I havent sown as much of the white stuff as the red, bought it as a novelty to try this year, but will consider growing more next year once i see how it pickles.

Everything is late this year so not been a good year to trial things, will hopefully get a better start next year.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 22:47:49 »
I've grown 'White Detroit' this year and it's done well.  Taste is the same as regular purple beet, though maybe a bit more delicate.  Will certainly be growing it again.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 07:43:00 »
I found the taste of white beetroot lacking in flavour. I like the "kick" of flavour you get with the red. I also found the white softer after cooking.

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:46 »
I had problems with beetroot.  One of the allotments near me had fab ones so I asked the secret of the success.  They were started in modules.  So once I started doing the same they I have had good beetroot ever since.   

For me the white and yellow are nice roasted and pink striped ones better eaten raw.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal