Author Topic: Shed to Chicken coop conversion  (Read 13214 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Shed to Chicken coop conversion
« on: August 26, 2013, 00:47:17 »
Has anyone converted a standard British 6' x 8' shed in to a chicken coop. I've got a few ideas, but would appreciate any guidance from someone who has tried this successfully.

I had a look on youtube, but it's mostly american vids and their sheds tend to be bigger than my garage!  :wave: sorry to any yanks - no offence!!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Shed to Chicken coop conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:46:38 »
It's me again..

Yes I have converted shed, though not quite as big as yours..6x4. There is no problems having a shed rather than purposely built chicken coop..actually it can be much better construction with few little extras.
To start with...my shed is raised on breeze blocks ...rats like to burrow undernearth and having it raised will help keeping unwanted recidents away...they can still get in if they really want but having 'airy' space doesn't attract them as lodgers.
I cut hole through front wall for a coop door...and shed door has long hook with eye too for extra opening during warm summer months. I have put indoor ventilation 'thingy' on wall near top as well..it is all about ventilation..ventilation..they can cope with cold but damp is what makes them unwell.
Halfway up on one end I have put few lengths of wood (wall to wall) to form open shelf that house bag of chopped straw for their bedding indoors and bag of mix grit. Underneath all that, about foot off from ground is their perch...3" thick tree branch (again, attached from wall to wall)..other end of shed they have their nest boxes that I built and they've been permanently attached on the wall..inside, as I prefer go in collect the eggs. There is another solid base shelf too for all those 'essential bits and bobs' and their food bin is stored there too. Near door I have screwed small metal tin on the wall...few inches off from floor and that I keep topped up with grit all year round as well as their supply of it outside as well.
The floor is kept just bare wood but all other inside surfaces are painted..walls with various pale paints (what is left over from after decorating in house)..that has two purposes...to lighten up otherwise dark interior and seal all the little cracks in wood where mites and other creepy crawliers may hide and when you do your annual pest control clean up..you can see if anything comes out from wood work. I've used 'lashings' of the pain..no expenses saved :glasses9:..to make sure there is as few gaps as possible. Undernearth the roof is just wood treated.
I recovered the new roof with new material as soon as the shed was installed..got some of those corrugated bitumen sheet and allowed very generous over hand so no rain water has access anywhere near walls and shed is kept dry..VERY IMPORTANT!..you do not want any dampness inside!!!
My she has two windows..one has glass on permanently but other is 'open' and I have attached just piece of chicken wire over..it is left fully open during summer months and for winter I temporarily attach partial cover...clear polycarbonate sheet piece that is short of a inch of the opening..that leaves tiny ventilation gap when I insert the sheet into frame work..and as the roof has that generous over lap..the rain doesn't get through the gap neither.
It is important that if you have generous size shed that you also house more than just few birds in it...their own body heat will keep the indoor temperature acceptable for them during winter..too much 'empty space' and they get bit chilly.
I don't want/need many chickens so 4 to 6 birds is plenty...but to keep them cosy in their shed I have that huge bag, or two of straw stored just above them. When they were younger and lighter, they used to 'fly' on top of the bags and squeeze to roost there.. :drunken_smilie:

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:54:03 »
Sounds fantastic GL. Some great ideas there. Do you have any pics  :toothy10: that would really help!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:26 »
Let's see.....I've got couple of photos handy...
As you can see....about the shelves and nest boxes...and the straw shelf is behind the windows..and perch is next to coop door under the windows.
Oh..Other thing I forgot to mention...the biggest advantage with having chickens in shed is the 'ease' of cleaning...you don't have to crawl and reach into awkward places as you can actually get in and not having to bang you head in process  :icon_cheers:
Chickens don't mind the type of housing as long as they are kept happy and healthy..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:33:32 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:46 »
...and remembered another little change I made...
I added metal strips around door frame and on door. When I got the shed up..only few weeks afterwards mice tried to get in having been made homeless from previous shed. As this new shed was off from ground they must have found difficult to find access in...and the gap between the frame and the door was obvious weak point for them.
There is little bit metal at the bottom of inside of the door (painted brown so not obvious)..all hammered really flat so the door can still close.
That is as close to 'Fort Knox' of the 'chicken world' as I could get it.....mice can still get in through the mesh on window..but they do have to climb and neighbours cat usually 'sleep' on the roof  :icon_cheers:
All treats and food is in bins so there is nothing to for mice to gain getting in...and haven't had any 'visitors' that would have left 'calling cards' neither..nothing chewed or eaten.. :icon_cheers:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:11 »
Our friend at the allotments whose chickens we look after when he's away (like this week!) has three converted sheds.  He hasn't converted them as thoughtfully as Goodlife has done, and I can see some of the faults.

So just a few random thoughts:

If I were converting a shed, I'd staple good quality half-inch weldmesh to the underside, with an extra few inches of edge folded up against the sides of the shed.  In spite of the raised blocks, my allotment friend suffers with rats, who exploit any signs of rot to make a hole and get into the shed for the feed and indeed the chicks.

I'd also consider a false floor made out of plywood.  Obviously the floor gets covered with droppings, and in spite of straw or Aubiose, or whatever you use, dirt gets between the floorboards and goes nasty.  That then encourages rot.  If you can get your plywood floor level with the door sill, you'll be able to sweep the coop out easily.

Make sure that the roosting bars are high enough above the nestboxes, to discourage hens from roosting in them.

If you can afford it, there are plastic nestboxes made by BEC which can be removed for cleaning and are very hygienic.  For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chick-Box-Poultry-nest-box-with-roll-away-egg-slide-and-perch-/271262821924?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3f28862e24

I don't often disagree with Goodlife, but personally I'd not store straw above the chickens' roosts.  It just screams red mite central!

I do strongly agree with replacing the roofing felt with Onduline or similar.  One of our runs has an Onduline roof, and it's superb.

Are you going to have a secure run attached to the shed? You'll need a pop-hole with a sliding door so that they've got access to the run.

Finally, and I may get flamed for this, I'm a great fan of creosote to prevent red mite.  Even if you only use it once as you're building the shed, it'll keep you mite-free for a couple of years at least.  Allow three weeks for the fumes to clear before allowing the chickens in, though.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 13:52:26 »
Melbourne's suggestions are absolutely right...metal mesh under the floor would be even better addition.
As for the straw storage..well..yes, it could be 'mite magnet'...BUT..in my case I dust the whole shed including nest boxes and food supply with diatomeceuous earth..and when I change the bedding new layer of this 'dust' is added again..and I haven't had any mites for some years now!!! :icon_cheers: I still do have couple of bottles of the now discontinued old version of 'mite spray' and each spring I test the hot spots for the mites with it..and in summer.
I had major mite break out once with old shed and once was too much...uh..never again!
As for the bedding..well, it is bagged up small bits of straw and gets used up and replace with new one.

I have never used creosote in chicken shed..but somebody who I know though he was being clever one...creosoted his bee hives to keep bee's home clean from mites.... :BangHead: Well...the mites did keep away from those hives...so did the bees..he never, not even for once managed to get colony to settle in treated hives. Those hives did started one mighty bonfire well though...

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 15:18:13 »
I have never used creosote in chicken shed..but somebody who I know though he was being clever one...creosoted his bee hives to keep bee's home clean from mites.... :BangHead: Well...the mites did keep away from those hives...so did the bees..he never, not even for once managed to get colony to settle in treated hives. Those hives did started one mighty bonfire well though...

Oh noes!  That's the trouble with insecticides, as he found out.  They do tend to kill ALL the insects.   :toothy10:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 19:49:55 »
Creosote is a traditional treatment for hives, so what on earth did he do with the stuff?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 22:01:03 »
Creosote is a traditional treatment for hives, so what on earth did he do with the stuff?
No idea..other than they were 'treated solid' with the stuff..the proper old type creosote...and it wasn't just light brush on treatment...they looked like they were dunked as I could still smell the stuff after couple of years being stored away in shed.
It is another matter if it was 'just' creosote or if it was some sort of concoction.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 18:32:16 »
That's probably the reason; you're only supposed to paint a hive with it on the outside. I have a gatepost which leaked creosote in hot weather for about five years after I put it up. That sort of quantity would remain lethal over a long period.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal