Author Topic: raspberries - advice please?  (Read 1828 times)

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
raspberries - advice please?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:01:11 »
Hi All,

I have inherited what can best be described as a raspberry forest with our new house. I have no idea what type of raspberries they are, and whether summer or autumn fruiting (is there an intermediate possibility?!)- I have had a few fruit from them since about July this year but not much considering the number of canes. I cut all the canes down last December to near ground level but they are back up more than five foot or so. What fruit there has been lately has quite often had wasps on it as well.  I do not know if any of this is this year's weather related or not.

I need to do something to sort out this patch. My current idea is to dig up all the canes in the winter and replant some in clear rows, spread cow manure on the ground for mulch/feeding, and lay black plastic in between. This will mean some do not get replanted - but hopefully I can pick the best canes.

Does this sound like a good plan? - any better suggestions?  I know I am likely to have few raspberries next year if they are summer ones, but at least I can establish what they might be and get things better for future years. Hopefully it would also mean I get to the fruit before the wasps!

Any advice or comments appreciated!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: raspberries - advice please?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 20:16:07 »
I inherited similar raspberry forest and dug them all out the second year for the same reasons.  They were not very productive but I found when I pulled them out the wood was diseased.  I burnt the lot and spent £20 on 12 autumn fruiting and 10 summer fruiting canes.  I also put the rasps in a new position which  I pre-manured.  They now have healthy lush growth and are very productive.  This is only their second year and I have had at least 16 punnets of rasps from my summer canes and there is more than that on the autumn ones.  Well pleased.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:07 »
^^ wot KT said.

If you can spend the money buying new canes, that is the way to go.  Then you know which are summer and which are the Autumn fruiters.  And you can do a bit of reading and buy the best varieties - I bought Autumn Bliss and Joan J and they produce lovely berries. 

I know it hurts to throw away good plants but they dont live forever.  And it's quite nice to read up on the old and new varieties and choose.  Keep a watch on websites like Blackmoors and Suttons/T&M for special offers.

You wont get much the first year then raspberry heaven.

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 20:29:29 »
Thanks to kt and Ellen - you are right that I would not really want to dig them all up and throw them away but maybe it is the best thing to do! Much appreciate your comments.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 20:33:30 »
May I suggest that if you do decide to clear out all the old rasps and replant with new stock it would be prudent to assume the existing canes and roots to be contaminated with virus diseases, as would be the soil in which they grew. The routine is to exterminate all existing canes and roots by digging up and burning them as soon as possible (none to go on the compost heap). Leave replanting next spring in a new bed as late as you can. Ruthlessly remove any bits of the old rasps that survive the holocaust, they can emerge up to two years later carrying diseases that you can do without.

I have been though this several times now because raspberry rows in my back garden have a limited life. It was useful to bring on my newly bought disease-free canes on my allotment for the first year then transplant them into my back garden. I could make a proper job of clearing out the old stuff  in the back garden.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 14:19:37 »
Hi
I inherited both summer and autumn fruiting canes about 3 years ago.  I think they were planted about 2 years before that.  They continue to fruit although this year was slightly down on last so they could be fading.  They are average/fair on taste and  whilst they continue to stay like that, I'm happy to keep them on ...but will keep a watchful eye next year to see if its time to change them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal