Author Topic: Any ideas what I can do with my shiso?  (Read 2195 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Any ideas what I can do with my shiso?
« on: August 09, 2013, 22:21:48 »
So, I have several of the red shiso plants growing this year, and they look great, but other than the vague suggestion that I should use it to make sushi, I have no idea what to do with it. If you know how to make use of it, please do tell.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Re: Any ideas what I can do with my shiso?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 22:04:59 »
Well, nearly a week and no suggestions what to do with my shiso. Does this mean nobody grows it? Or do we grow it and not use it?

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 22:19:00 »
There is something about a thread where I just talk to myself that I really like, but just in case anybody is following this, I found a recipe for shiso juice which I am going to try.
http://japaneats.tv/2010/07/19/recipe-shiso-juice/
The first time I went trawling for recipes I didn't find any, but it seems I didn't try hard enough. I'll let you know if it tastes any good.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 22:46:46 »
Is shiso the same as green perilla? 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:32 »
Winecap, have you seen this?
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2011/07/things_to_do_with_fresh_shiso.php

Sorry no first hand experience here.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:19:08 »
Sorry to ignore you I do hate unanswered threads. 

I have not come across shiso.  I like something new.    According to galina's link you can use it for anything which requires mint or basil.  I would suggest a little experimentation.  Perhaps you could report back then we can all give it a try.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 22:13:44 »
I never heard of it!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 23:31:33 »
Hi, a bit late here but here goes,  it is a herb and  it has a similar flavour to Cilantro but with a wee Basily taste too and depending on which colour you have grown it may seem a bit lemony. Use it as you would any other herb, it is just a matter of taste. Don't over do it as it can be a tad bitter especially of the leaves are a bit older.

If you want specific recipes  I am certain you would find them if you googled  "how to use Shiso" or something like that.

I used to grow all three colours when I made a lot of sushi which  I don't  now but  I only ever used the red and the green,( the red I used in a Japanese pickle recipe) the green generally and for the sushi, it goes well with chicken and pork, white meats rather  than red and not in say spaghetti sauce by the way but there will be lots of recipes out there. The variegated I grew cos it was pretty.

If you don't find any recipes let me know and I will get a few from my books for you.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal