Author Topic: How big should apples be now?  (Read 2027 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
How big should apples be now?
« on: August 07, 2013, 14:18:13 »
These are pics. of two of my apple trees - one is loaded even though I removed a large number in July and the other has just 7 fruit on it. Are the fruit about the right size for the first week of August?

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: How big should apples be now?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 14:24:58 »
They look OK to me...nice and 'clean' :icon_cheers:
The size of the apple depends of many things but on main issue is how 'early' variety it is...obviously those that are earlier type will develop bit faster and have to be finished size in time...but then there differences between varieties. Some make naturally larger apples than others....and then the growing conditions..etc etc.

It is going to be really good apple year again.. :icon_cheers:..my trees set the fruit very well, there was noticeable 'July drop' and even then I had to thin some trees by hand. CAN'T WAIT...YUM YUM :toothy10:
One of my earliest varieties is just about ready for baking purposes and for eating it will have to wait couple of more weeks :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 18:06:54 »
My apples were very late flowering.  Which meant there were lots of bees around, so I have lots of fruit coming on.  I removed loads in July, but I think the apples this year might be small.   

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 19:04:50 »
They look fine to me. Mine are similar.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 22:40:31 »
Thanks everyone - good to know they are about the right size - a bit bigger than a golf ball most of them.

Tricia

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59:19 »
I have a large old tree which did very badly last year compared to previous years. This year it is absolutely loaded, with branches drooping to the ground. Good point about late flowering bringing more insects, I had not thought of that (though we heard at the time that there were many bee and insect losses because of the inconsistent harsh weather).

Apart from the lower branches, it is impossible to thin. It is a very late maturing apple (a dual purpose Charles Ross, according to Brogdale apple day) but I always pick steadily as soon as they are large enough, and process and freeze, using this magnificent little machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzq9pd3iUTA   (but I wind mine much faster than she does).

It saves hours of work. I got mine in Tasmania and it is quite robust - I bought a Lakeland one to give away, and it was disappointingly flimsy, but I am sure there are better models around. The apple comes out in spiral form, and if you slit it down the side you have neat apple rings for drying.

One problem about a late apple is that birds and wasps and some sort of rot gradually thin them out until by the time they are sweet in October, there are not so many of them. That is why I make sure to start stashing them away from late August. I regard the windfalls as helpful compost.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 20:26:28 »
Are you sure it's a Charles Ross? That's a mid-season variety.

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/charles-ross

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 20:55:42 »
Three apple experts at Brogdale looked at, sliced, and ate my apples, and that is what they said.

As a mid-season apple, it is sharp and best for cooking. Later, it becomes sweet enough to eat, and that is my experience. Apparently it was commonly planted on allotments in the 40s/50s.

I looked up your website   http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/charles-ross   at the time, and it all looked exactly right. My comments on the site were a few years ago, and I got a friendly answer from the site manager, a real enthusiast.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:55 »
Our apples are ripening up at the moment, and we think that they are considerably smaller than usual but maybe they will bulk up.

Last year we only had 30 but they were huge. 

This year same tree possibly 1000 apples and even though I removed loads they are still going to be small.  They are also late.  I have the pics of the tree for 2011 and they are dated 1st Aug and the tree is at the height of ripeness, we normally start eating mid July.     The first insect damaged ones are now ripening so they still have another week maybe a couple to go.   

Worried about the golden delicious, it may not have enough time to ripen at all.  Fruit still very small.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal