Author Topic: Blanching veg  (Read 3792 times)

albion

• Not So New ...
Blanching veg
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:21:02 »
Can anyone tell me if blanching is really necessary before freezing vegetables. I am particularly thinking of broad beans but wonder generally if it is vital.
Thanks in advance

captainhastings

• Not So New ...
Re: Blanching veg
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:05:07 »
I was thinking the same for broad beans and had a google seems some do and some don't do I blanched half and froze the others straight so I can see. But even blanched for a minute because mine were nice and young they went a bit soft

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:23 »
I always blanch veg. 2 mins everything.  I store for a year with some things. I believe it keeps the nutritional qualities of the veg better. I know a lot of folks will disagree with this but each to his own.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:00 »
Somebody on here said that blanching comes from the days when freezers operated at about -5C and with modern day freezers typically operating at -20C (or whatever the numbers are), then you don't need to do it any more.

So, as my freezer was bought second hand back in the mid 1980s, I still blanch.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:10 »
I never blanch peas before freezing.  A few people on the plots say that broad beans dont need it either so I have 4 kilos unblanched in the freezer now with more to pick.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:57 »
Must admit I don't bother to blanch any more. Peas, broad beans, sweetcorn all seem just as nice without the faf. I don't usually freeze green beans as I don't like them once they've been frozen. Might be worth you experimenting and seeing how much of a difference you notice.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:07 »
I find that steaming, rather than boiling in water, is more effective for frozen produce, than blanching at the time of freezing.

Frozen green beans in particular come out much better consistency and flavour after steaming. 

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 14:06:49 »
I have been preserving for longer than I can remember. I don`t blanch broad beans and I do blanch green beans, 2 minutes, into ice cold water. Spread on a clean eat towel and bag when dry. Use the same boiling water over and over again, so easier to use a colander or bag of some sort

albion

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 19:57:41 »
Thanks folks, helpful as ever

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 23:21:59 »
After blanching my crops are usually mushy when cooked at a later date.  I never blanch anymore.  Peas were frozen 2 weeks ago and broad beans will be getting frozen this week.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 22:31:25 »
I never blanch peas before freezing.  A few people on the plots say that broad beans dont need it either so I have 4 kilos unblanched in the freezer now with more to pick.

Neither do I and my broad beans and shelling beans last a year and more... indeed I still have some two year old broad beans in the freezer that are absolutely fine. make sure the thing they're in seals preoply... I use chinese takeaway tubs for most things and larger tupperware things for bulk stuff like broad beans and shucked sweetcorn... I'm going to try steam-cooking the seetcorn this year to see if making it set makes for an easier shuck...

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 22:45:06 »
I used to blanch but now I don't usually bother.
I agree it can make some veg a bit mushy when recooked after freezing.
In theory it is supposed to stop enzymatic reactions that lead to deterioration but quite frankly with modern freezers at -20C any degradation would be halted very quicklyat that temperature and for a long time. (before I retired I was an enzymologist!).
It would be interesting to know whether the Food Industry still does it!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 00:04:28 »

Neither do I and my broad beans and shelling beans last a year and more... indeed I still have some two year old broad beans in the freezer that are absolutely fine. make sure the thing they're in seals preoply... I use chinese takeaway tubs for most things and larger tupperware things for bulk stuff like broad beans and shucked sweetcorn... I'm going to try steam-cooking the seetcorn this year to see if making it set makes for an easier shuck...

Thanks Chrisx . Now I feel a lot better..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 18:10:08 »
I use a large metal steamer for all the veggies together and pop the frozen beans in for the last 15 minutes. They are lovely, just like fresh

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal