Author Topic: How many squash to a plant?  (Read 1104 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
How many squash to a plant?
« on: July 19, 2013, 16:43:47 »
I have a rampant Crown Prince growing up an obelisk which has at least 5 - if not 8 - squashes which are increasing in size daily. There are loads more waiting to flower. I have been removing quite a few side shoots this past week, especially where a squash has 'taken'. All my squashes - Festival, Butternut and Crown Prince - are being fed with liquidised chicken pellets every two weeks which seems to suit them as I have never had such healthy plants - whether in pots or in the ground. So, how many C.P. should I allow to grow and should I remove some or all the incipient babies?

Tricia

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: How many squash to a plant?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 22:36:52 »
Wow they look amazing!

I would be wary of removing any until you are sure the ones you leave will grow on - are they past the danger stage when they can drop off if not pollinated?

I suppose once you're confident you know where you are you might nip a few off and eat them as summer squash? How many it could ripen - I guess three or four, but I'm not a squash expert so maybe someone more knowledgable will be along.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: How many squash to a plant?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 00:23:18 »
If I had a crown Prince with 8 on already I'd leave the m there but take any more female flowers that appeared.... 8 sensibly sized CP's from a plant would be a big tick in my book...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal