Author Topic: Self-Watering Allotment  (Read 1707 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Self-Watering Allotment
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:24 »
I went to my allotment this morning to water, and it had already been done for me!  How good is that!

I run a small community allotment site right by the Kennet and Avon canal on Canal and River Trust land with just seven plots.  It was derelict land this time last year and mine is currently the only plot being worked, but as the site begins to look more like an allotment than a rocky wasteland I'm hopeful that I'll be able to attract other allotmenteers to join me.  The site is right next to the canal by some formal moorings and the plan is also to build a community group to adopt the length of canal and maintain the moorings and canal lock and a large area of what is now rather neglected scrub but which could become an attractive formal garden and shrubbery.

Anyroad, someone posted the notice that you can see "Canal allotment - please feel free to water using black bucket" - and they even provided the bucket - and what's even better, when I turned up this morning to water, a moored boater had already watered my beans and potatoes!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Self-Watering Allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:55:19 »
Yippee!  :icon_cheers:
How kind of them.
I went down to the plot last night to water as it had been so hot. I watered like mad for 30 minutes, then looked up and saw an enormous storm cloud heading my way and an ominous rumble of thunder! I quickly gathered up my stuff and headed for home through the park and just as I got to the road in front of my building, the heavens opened up! Ok it only rained solidly for 3 minutes but at least that watered the flowers etc that I didn't do!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Self-Watering Allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 13:13:47 »
Perhaps the person will be back for some veg later on.  You might not be so pleased if the crops start disappearing.

No sign of any rain here, forecast for showers on Tuesday but I will not hold my breathe.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal