Author Topic: Mystewrious plant needing identification  (Read 1789 times)

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
Mystewrious plant needing identification
« on: July 19, 2013, 15:01:21 »
Hi All,

I have a mysterious plant which I'd love to be able to identify. Can anyone help?

I thought it was some kind of a fruit bush/shrub, so I planted it in my new fruit cage when we moved. However, it is showing no signs of flowers or fruit at all, but is weirdly not just growing upwards but also horizontally along the ground. I say I thought it was a fruit of some sort because I think it came with us in a pot which is what I did with fruit bushes I got from Aldi - but I might well be totally wrong about that as an origin!

Does anyone have any idea what it might be, please?  I have uploaded a photo at http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/hn83.jpg/ which I hope you can see.

Much appreciated!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Mystewrious plant needing identification
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 15:34:46 »
My guess is a gojiberry.  They did sell them in Aldi.  Do not hold your breathe for any fruit they seem to be a bit shy.  Wrong - they are very shy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 15:39:53 by Digeroo »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 15:41:24 »

It looks a bit like a Goat Willow to me.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 17:52:44 »
My goji from Aldi looks similar, the odd thing is that the leaves were much wider than those I grew from seed which I got from actual berries (bought in supermarket).  The leaves are smooth on both sides.

Willows tend to be woolly on the lower side.

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 20:40:40 »
Aaah - thanks!   :icon_cheers:   

I did buy at least one goji berry from Aldi so that is probably it!  - without labels (that were there originally but all got lost in transit and transplanting) I was at a total loss.

Much appreciated - and I apologize for the typo in the title - our internet at the moment resembles a moribund snail so just getting the post up was an achievement.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 20:46:06 »
I love the typo I shall call my goji my mystewrious plant, it will make me smile and make up for the lack of action on the fruiting front.

The ones I grew from seed have been given the e and the space used for perennial kale and the one from aldi is on a yellow card.  If it produces nothing again this year, it will be returned to the shop.

I do not want my money back, it did not cost much, but hopefully it will stop them selling them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal