Author Topic: Sweetcorn, Milk Bottles and Rats  (Read 4239 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Sweetcorn, Milk Bottles and Rats
« on: July 08, 2013, 21:26:24 »
For those that have never tried or did not know about this.

If you are growing sweetcorn one of the worst thing to happen to them just as they get ripe they are raided by rats and they make a great job of leaving you nothing.
Collect two litre plastic milk bottles, cut down the side opposite to the handle open it up and place it over the cob cut side downwards the rat has nothing to grip on and your cobs will be on your plate and not in the rats belly.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Sweetcorn, Milk Bottles and Rats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 18:28:47 »
Thanks for that, davy. We're having problems with rats this year so I'll get sorted before we lose all our lovely corn  :happy7:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 23:49:49 »
This year I topped and tailed 2 litre plastic water/lemonade bottles (saved from my neighbours recycling bin!) and placed over each plant when they were planted out in the hope that the tassels won't get eaten as soon as they appear. (A tip I read somewhere.) I harvested fewer ripe cobs last year due to the tassels being neatly 'shaved' off as soon as they emerged from the cobs. :BangHead: I also have loads of plastic bags at the ready to slip over the cobs each evening if the plastic sleeves prove to be ineffective.

Tricia

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 20:45:57 »
Tricia, the problem with using plastic bags is the rat can chew though them and also the will make the cobs sweat
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 21:42:54 »
Tricia, the problem with using plastic bags is the rat can chew though them and also the will make the cobs sweat

I will only try the plastic bags  if the 'sleeves' don't act as a deterrent - and they will only go on at dusk and be removed first thing the following morning, so I don't think sweating should be a problem. I only have 14 plants this year - slugs got the rest  :BangHead:

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal