Author Topic: crazed seed potatoes!  (Read 1668 times)

undercarriage plan

crazed seed potatoes!
« on: March 11, 2005, 21:12:54 »
I am in definite need of advice, and lots of it! I ordered some seed potatoes for this season which arrived in late January. I put them in a a dry cool place til I needed to chit them, which I thought I'd attempt this weekend.  However, when I opened the box, I discovered chitting wasn't going to be a problem as they had shoots, about 6-8 inches long!! What now? Do I have to bin them and start again? :o  Remove excess growth? ??? Or resort to hiding in potting shed with large bottle of wine ;D  Any advice gratefully received, and definitely needed.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: crazed seed potatoes!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 22:07:21 »
They will be as fragile as hell, but perfectly plantable I believe.  I think your biggest problem will be knocking those long shoots off when planting them, so you are going to have to take care.  I unpack mine as soon as I receive them and leave them in a cool dark place and they very slowely do the business.  I am looking at king edwards as we speak and the chits are only about 3cm long.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 22:17:40 »
Thanks for reply, will knock off really delicately, if you know what I mean. Quite hard being a newbie on this site! Does anyone ever visit the chat room? do you give out your e mail address? Advice on how to navigate here would also be great. Becoming more interested into how to do this than crazed seed potatoes!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 22:54:10 »
Some people have their email addy on their profiles.  And you can send people 'pm's', (private messages) which are like emails really.

I used to go in the chat room a lot, and I believe others do, but earlier in the evenings.  I don't get online until after 10pm (blame the kids - they get the blame for everything, poor little buggers) and do always check, but the room is almost always empty.  Maybe we should do something about that??

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 00:07:53 »
Thanks for reply, just come from chat room, had great time! Known as lottie, not undercarriage plan, mistake on profile don't know how to correct!! Thanks for help. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 07:04:11 »
Just go to 'Profile' at the top of the page - go to 'Modify Profile' 'Profile Information' - do your thing - 'Change Profile'.  ??

I'm always available - for what that might be worth!!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 14:29:38 »
Tim  :)

Your worth your wieght in Gold.......
keep giving us those Pearls of Wisdom.... its always a   great help ;)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 20:07:21 »
Seems like I'm doomed to be undercarriage plan (?) ::)  Thanks for offer, Tim, bit difficult though, don't you think?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal