Author Topic: Japanese Willow advice please  (Read 1668 times)

michaelmouse

Japanese Willow advice please
« on: June 26, 2013, 21:36:46 »
Hello there,
I'm new to the forum. You came recommended from another forum so I hope you can help.

I have a Japanese Willow which was badly damaged in a storm last Autumn.(It was knocked over and uprooted by some major falling trees)
Basically I thought I'd leave it through the Winter to see if it would survive and it has. However it's in a very weak state. Only one section of it's branches have growth and there is a split on it's bark.

So my question is: Should I just take a cutting and let it die or should I cut back everything without growth and see what happens. Or is there anything else you would suggest.

It was a gift from my Mum(who died last year) so If at least I can take a cutting I would be pleased.

NB.Would be happy to provide pictures if there is a way

Many Thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Japanese Willow advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:03 »
Welcome to A4A.  Looks like there are not many people with experience of a Japanese Willow.  If they are like normal willows then they will root very easily from cuttings.  You cannot use willow as pea sticks for example because they all turn into little willow trees.

I would suggest that what ever you do you take some cuttings as an insurance.

Willows like a lot of water, and I would love a weeping one, but they began to attack the water/sewage pipes so everyone round here who had one got a letter from the water company requesting removal. 

michaelmouse

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:33 »
Welcome to A4A.  Looks like there are not many people with experience of a Japanese Willow.  If they are like normal willows then they will root very easily from cuttings.  You cannot use willow as pea sticks for example because they all turn into little willow trees.

I would suggest that what ever you do you take some cuttings as an insurance.

Willows like a lot of water, and I would love a weeping one, but they began to attack the water/sewage pipes so everyone round here who had one got a letter from the water company requesting removal.

Thanks for this. Can I take a cutting at any time and if so,how much should I take?

ARV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 21:55:58 »
Cuttings are best taken when the tree is dormant in winter.  You could leave the tree for this growing season which would allow you to see which parts are alive and which are not.  You might also have a better idea of if the tree is saveable. 
If you do decide to take cuttings, then cut staright sections about a foot in length the thickness of a finger.
Make a hole at least 1/2 a foot deep (you don't need to dig a hole, just use a spike) and put the cutting into the hole (the right way up).
A google search on 'taking willow cuttings' will bring up plenty of information

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 16:29:53 »
If it's growing now it's unlikely to die unless there's something else wrong. You'll probably find it recovers without problems.

michaelmouse

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 17:02:30 »
It seems ok on one part of the tree. Just not sure if I should cut away the dead 75% of it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal