Author Topic: Grass!  (Read 2568 times)

daisydog

• Not So New ...
Grass!
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:37 »
Morning

I have got my allotment which hasn't been used for a few years.  I've just had surgery so during the spring months and now, I haven't been able to do anything to it.  However, my brother has come on board.   :icon_cheers:  The grass was really high, so he has strimmed it.  Now, we need to cover the grass with the 'black stuff' to stop the grass growing until we can work on it proper.

I've been looking on ebay but I'm not sure what exactly it is I'm looking for as there's 'weed supressant' material which will allow the light in (which I guess is not what I need).

any help really appreciated

Thanks.  :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Grass!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:16 »
To cover anything that block the light will do the job...the colour of the 'stuff' is not critical. You can gather some cardboard boxes/sheets those will do job very well. Weigh them down with few bricks/stones and they will last until following year and by then they will have either be eaten down by creeper crawlers or just turned into compost.
Cardboard is cheap and easy...it just needs to be replaced after time..but then again, you won't have load of rubbish to get rid of  :icon_cheers:
If you decide to go to the plastic option...used compost bags (cut open to sheets) or any similar strong polythene sheeting..old pond liners..those will work.
If you want to spend your money...weed suppressing membrane that is the woven type (with coloured planting grid pattern on it) is good..it will last years and you can use it not only for covering the ground now but perharps for some more permanent planting beds later on....BUT...it ain't cheap! Sometimes you can get that sheeting second hand from sellers from agricultural sources or plant nurseries.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 15:24:18 »
Morning

I have got my allotment which hasn't been used for a few years.  I've just had surgery so during the spring months and now, I haven't been able to do anything to it.  However, my brother has come on board.   :icon_cheers:  The grass was really high, so he has strimmed it.  Now, we need to cover the grass with the 'black stuff' to stop the grass growing until we can work on it proper.

I've been looking on ebay but I'm not sure what exactly it is I'm looking for as there's 'weed supressant' material which will allow the light in (which I guess is not what I need).

I use "polytarp" sheets from builders  merchants about 15x12'. They are tough and have eyelets to peg them down. mine are polypropylene and  have lasted 5-6 years. Its best to weight them down using bricks, lengths of 4x2 timber or just clods of clay
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/153088

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 14:14:22 »
I use just cardboard well weighed down. Once it gets rained on, it will stick down well to the ground and stay there. Try to get big cartons such as from electrical appliances that have really big sheets. It will eventually start to rot down - but usually that means it's time to plant that area! This year I have put the half rotted stuf down and planted squash through it. result, no weeds around them and the ground stays nice and fresh. Neighbours find it ugly but that's their problem!!! I just want my butternuts!
I have used tarps (about 2 or 3quids from local hardware) but I find they come apart in the end and leave bits of plastic all over the place.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

daisydog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 15:06:48 »
Hi

Thanks for the replies.  Cardboard it is!
  :icon_cheers:
Many thanks again.

Lisa :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 14:53:46 »
I have used tarps (about 2 or 3quids from local hardware) but I find they come apart in the end and leave bits of plastic all over the place.

Tarps alone are short-lived - a nuisance waiting to happen, and the old idea of carpets is a nightmare because the weeds root into them*.

However carpet on top of tarp (or plastic sheet) is a marriage made in heaven - the tarp blocks the soil moisture getting back to the carpet and keeping it wet - so the weeds can't get a grip, and the carpet stops the sunlight UV from destroying the tarp.

* Not because they are poisonous - that is vastly over-hyped - though you want either ones that rot to nothing (quite rare these days) or ones that don't rot at all.  Any carpets with man-made/blend backings have to be used pattern-side-up or the sun will disintegrate them into annoying irregular bits.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal