Author Topic: Onions and garlic  (Read 1746 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Onions and garlic
« on: June 28, 2013, 17:22:50 »
O.K. So my Autumn planted onions and garlic look as if they are ready to be harvested ....what is the best thing to plant after them please ? :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Onions and garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 18:05:08 »
I have just put in a quick green manure crop of phacelia and will start off spring cabbage and a few overwintered caulies in root trainers. The phacelia will be dug in probably early september and soon after the your brassicas will go in under net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 18:41:10 »
I'm planting cabbages that I have in pots after my winter onions are finished.. We will eat the last ones tonight so will plant out tomorrow. Garlic has still got more growing to do  - far too early for pulling it yet..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 18:55:52 »
Ours will be followed with purple sprouting broccoli, romanesco and turnips and kohl rabi as a catch crop  :happy7:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 20:05:29 »
Thankyou so much for sharing your ideas and plans ....  I have pulled up the onions and one garlic , yes , not ready yet , and weeded and trimmed the long grass growing through the chicken wire and put it all back to keep the rabbits out. Time for a cup of tea , put up feet , watch Gardeners World time in a bit  ...phew ! Thanks again .    :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 22:55:00 »
I'm planning to grow Swedes after the onions, shallots and garlic - seems to have worked ok in the past but who knows what will work this year?! Might also try growing some more maincrop carrots.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 00:17:08 »
#6 - it's far too late to follow the onions with garlic and shallots now...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:12 »
Read again.   :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 15:26:16 »
Read again.   :tongue3:

Oooops.... I read it as doing sweedes ++++ the rest!!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:50:42 »
I will be following the garlic probably with probably late carrots, the last sowing of beetroot and probably something salady; I'll give it a good dressing of compost and some organic fertilizer first; The calabrese and co will go in after the onions come out.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal