Author Topic: hay fever  (Read 1756 times)

ACE

• Hectare
hay fever
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:09 »
I think that is what I have got. Strange because I have never been this bad before. Woke up yesterday OK, Then mowed the overgrown orchard which had gone to seed as I have been busy with the wedding and things. An hour later I am sneezing, sore throat and felling very stuffed up.

When I worked on the parks and gardens I never suffered in all the 30 years I was around the grass cutting gangs  and  the last 12 years  have been gardening with all sorts of exotic flowers which must have some potent pollens. I am going to take some piriton to see if it goes away or I just have a summer cold. What do you reckon is the best stuff to take.

I shall stay away from the gardens today and go out to sea and catch a few mackerel. There should not be any pollen out there.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: hay fever
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:56 »
Perhaps there was something in there that irritated your sinuses?   You should be able to get some over the counter anti histamine I would think. If you are brave enough, wash our your nasal cavity with some saline solution (look up nasal rinse or nasal wash! best remedy for colds or any sinus trouble as it flushes out all the rubbish causing the problem.)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32:48 »
I always get the supermarkets own brand for my husband it's a one a day tablet, comes in either a non drowsy or not specified, either one doesn't make him drowsy, much cheaper too and was advised by the GP to use them

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:48:07 »
It's said that these hay fever strains are constantly evolving (is that the right word?) as the years go by so I guess more people are getting affected in different ways now.  Touch wood (head) I've never suffered from anything related to HF but it must be just awful. Good luck to those with it!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 16:14:27 »
Piriton does not shake it and being out at sea all day has not, so it ain't pollen. Its Da da daa (key sinister music) MAN FLU

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 16:31:06 »
ACE. . . The question is did you catch the mackerel for youre tea,hope you get well soon mate
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 17:21:47 »
ACE. . . The question is did you catch the mackerel for youre tea,hope you get well soon mate

They were jumping into the boat, got enough for the family and neighbours. I'll only eat it fresh on the day it was caught.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:03:55 »
have you never tried it the French way ACE?
First you need to fillet the mackerel. it is nicest with small ones.
First mix a finely chopped onion and carrot, a lemon sliced, a bay leaf, some coriander grains, some thyme, half a teas of salt and lots of black pepper with half a bottle of dry white wine and 3 tabs of vinegar (cider or white wine vinegar) and set it to reduce on medium heat. Once reduced by about half, you gently poach the fish in the mixture, just simmering, for about 3 or 4 minutes.  Then leave it to cool and pop it in the fridge, bathing in the marinade you cooked it in. It keeps for about 4 days like that and is a popular starter here. You eat it cold of course with crusty bread.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:54 »
Tried a few things the 'french way' put my neck out once. But plain cooking in this house, wrap it in foil, bung it on the barbie, might do half a bottle of wine and the other half later if there ain't no cold ones in the fridge. You'll have me eating garlic bread next!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal