Author Topic: Advice on how to designing the inside of my new greenhouse  (Read 3112 times)

ohmeohmy07

• Not So New ...
I've just managed to build my greenhouse on my allotment (all stuff from skips - joists and old windows) with a guaranteed "no accurate horizontal or vertical or right-angle". It's a good size: 4mx2.5m. And so far it's holding up despite wind and rain!
I would appreciate advice on what I should build inside and how: shelves etc.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Advice on how to designing the inside of my new greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 14:32:12 »
I would appreciate advice on what I should build inside and how: shelves etc.

A lot depends upon what you plan on growing in it, before you can decide this.

If you are going for some shelving then I would suggest you make it movable!

For example I erect my shelving after the growing season in preparation for the plants I will place on them to harden off the following year, and any plants I shall be over wintering.

Once my new plants are hardened off and planted out I remove the shelving to make way for things such as Tomatoes and Cucumbers and any other plants I will be growing under glass / plastic!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 21:34:20 »
Agree with Tee Gee, having a flexible system is really useful, I use four of those 4 tier mini greenhouses....in spring they house all my seedlings (with the plastic covers on)  before being hardened off, then they go outside as hardening off and direct sowing units, and I put growbags with pots on top for the tomatoes and have one three segment permanent staging with gravel for peppers and chillies. My greenhouse has a tiled floor though, presume you will have at least part as a bed?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:47 »
If it was me I'd go with a row of shelving round pretty much the whole thing at around 14" under where the roof line breaks inward, adn another shelf a foot below that... top shelf is for plants in the spring, middle shelf is for storage, and you can still use a decent depth on the floor (or removeable staging), shelves want to be a seed-tray deep, later on you can tie canes to the shelves for extra support and if you put hooks on them you can hang up big-drippa style watering bags too...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 23:50:05 »
This is how the inside of my greenhouse looks if that is any help!

Can't understand why I didn't link to it in my earlier post

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Greenhouse%20heating/Greenhouse%20Heating.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal