Author Topic: Breaking up Pallets  (Read 13331 times)

Phin

• Not So New ...
Breaking up Pallets
« on: March 11, 2005, 15:15:43 »
This was first posted in a discussion about raised beds but several people responded that it was a good idea or that it worked, so here it is as a 'Top Tip'

How do you break up salvaged pallets into separate planks for use as edging or raised beds without splitting the planks?

The trick is not to lever the planks with a claw hammer or crowbar, as pallet nails are spiralled and grip like a Yorkshire terrier. The result is that the planks split before the nails come out.  Instead, hit the skids that hold the planks with a lump hammer.  This should do one of two things, both of which are good:

1.   the nails pop through the planks and stay in the skids
2.   the nails stay in the plank and can be removed

either way the planks don’t split. Here a quick sketch to illustrate the technique:

It works best with pallets that have planks one side only, otherwise you may have to sacrifice a few planks to get started.

kenkew http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;u=392 says you can also knock the nails straight through the planks. I reckon a centre punch or similar tool would be useful for this.

Phin

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
Re: Breaking up Pallets
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 00:03:28 »
Im glad that someone else has the pallet splitting problem as well, took me ages today to try and split a pallet up. Will definately try the lump hammer thing on the blocks.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 09:34:23 »
Thanks also.   I've been trying to split up some pallets I've acquired for bed edging.

With luck I should be able make at least eight beds for this year & can then just keep begging pallets through the year to make the rest of the beds for the forthcoming years.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Molly

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 21:03:28 »
As a supplementary to this tip - the best way to remove the stubborn nails is to turn the plank over between two paving slabs, position the nain head in the space (I find the odd gap in my patio serves the purpose admirably) and tap them gently back through the plank

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:41:51 »
CC

If you are using the pallet timber for edges do you treat the wood with a preservative first?

What is the life of the pallet timber as edging before replacement is required?

I did consider using pallets for this purpose but didn't think the timber would be durable enough

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 15:43:07 »
If you can get hold of any of these 'sides' for pallets, they are handy as raised beds. They stack on top of each other so you could make them quite high.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/meatpaste/pallet.jpg
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Phin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 16:51:14 »
I haven’t a clue Derek.  I'll let you know in a few months as I've used them for this too!

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 19:10:44 »
If anyone wants free pallets,most companies will have a stack of damaged ones-we have hundreds of them which get burnt as they cannot be resold.

A word of warning though-dont attempt to take any pallets which are painted blue as these ALL belong to a pallet company called GKN (timber is also stamped with this) and they are only ever rented-never purchased.GKN will prosecute those who take their pallets without consent as they consider it theft.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 20:23:47 »
Thanks for that info Steven

Why not take a load of pallets you want to get rid of down the local allotments...they vanish so quickly its as if a plague of locusts has decended

We are always grateful when a load arrives....first come first served basis...gotta be quick

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 21:32:08 »
Thats not a bad idea Derek-the local allotments are only half a mile from my house and quite conveniently next to dog walking fields!

ps.I had to warn peeps about the blue GKN pallets because few years ago,i watched one of them garden makeover shows on cable when they constructed a deck out of them.Two weeks later,they had to broadcast an appology to GKN for mis-using (sawing up!) their property.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 11:16:19 »
This tip has come in handy for me too. I used to have a palet in ise as an unorthodox fence in a part of my garden. Recently decided to replace it with something else, and the pallet was destined for the skip (for building work in case you were wondering). Then i read this thread and thought 'hmm thats a good idea, i can probably use the wood if not the palet as a whole'.  The palet was though sturdily made do i had tho (carefully) use a sledge hammer instead of the recomended club hammer, and i did get some damage, but did end up with some usable timber for use in the kitchen garden (edging paths etc).

The one part of the pallet i cant think of a use for are the 9 square blocks of wood that were in the middle of the pallet. Anyone got any ideas or shall i ditch these?

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 15:31:20 »
Derek,
When used as compost bins the pallet strips last 2 to 5 years,  then rot away.
A friend made decking for his landing stage from them:  they lasted 3 years before becoming unsafe.

Do they really throw away those sides?   They look expensive!!
Good gardening!

John

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 22:29:54 »
Richard
Collect a load together and play allotment jenga ? ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 07:35:48 »
If you can get hold of any of these 'sides' for pallets, they are handy as raised beds. They stack on top of each other so you could make them quite high.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/meatpaste/pallet.jpg

sorry to sound a bit thick but what are these, they are'nt normal pallet timber. Also where would one get them from

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 12:10:21 »
Ron,

No, they're not normal pallet timber. I've taken another photo to show you how they stack on top of one another to make a 'box on a pallet'.

I'm a lorry driver so I probably have more access to pallets and these sides than most people. They were hanging around outside our depot ready to be burnt until I rescued them.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 13:30:03 by petemason »
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 13:20:35 »
I remember that Steven....hehehehehe.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 10:13:12 »
Our lotty is next to an industrial estate and they chuck the pallets over the fence for us.  I intende (by I, I mean I am going to nag the OH)  to make a pallett deck in the middle of our flower and fruit plot so that we can dine out in style instead of having to sit on the shed step and slurp coffee.
Get with the beat Baggy

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 07:28:29 »
baggy
you are very lucky I cant find any pallets anywhere.

Its the old story when you dont want stuff its always there and when you NEED it you cant find it

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 10:21:43 »
Oooh some good tips here - we can get some broken pallets but were told they wouldn't be much use because they always split when you try to break them up - now we know better...
thanks everyone :)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 17:28:09 »
The pallet patio has been constructed and looks stunning.  Christened it today with a cheese roll and a beaker of warm coke.  We know how to live  ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal