Author Topic: 1000 plots to rent in Brum  (Read 4244 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
1000 plots to rent in Brum
« on: June 12, 2013, 19:46:29 »
Really?  1000 vacant plots?  See the BBC news story here.  That's one in seven of Brum's plots vacant.  What gives?  Have we seen the allotment craze turn a corner?  Are allotmenteers leaving in droves because of the poor weather?  Maybe it's the rent hikes?

Any thoughts?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: 1000 plots to rent in Brum
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 19:56:38 »
Demand here is still high but falling.  Last year we had something over 40 applications (our list only opens a couple of months a year) - this year we had maybe 15 tops.
Turnover seems to have stepped up a bit and a couple of members have called it quits.  Don't know what the situation is with the council run sites but there are still waiting lists.

I think it is a combination of factors including the realisation for some people that it is hard work getting and keeping a plot in shape.  The weather has been terrible and there are quite a few glum looking faces and indeed plots- I think people are struggling for motivation.

Still 1000 vacant plots is a huge number - maybe the council has got new bods in charge and are being more active - I cant see 1000 plots suddenly becoming vacant..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 20:41:19 »
In Sheffield its the rent hikes which have tipped the balance. The weather has always been poor.  Two years ago we had a waiting list of about 30 people. That had completely gone, but now there may be a short waiting list again. That said, there are several plots on our site where the tenants haven't been seen this year, so probably wont pay the rent, but it will be a while yet before the council gets to grips with the situation. I know 7 people who don't plan to continue next year. They are all pensioners who will only get a 25% rebate next year so have to pay £120. I can see why that is a problem for some. We still have several plots that nobody wants to cultivate and two which the council don't even offer any more. About 60 plots in total. I did ask our allotments officer some time ago whether he thought a 60% rent hike was a good idea when they didn't know what effect this years 100% increase had made. Interesting to see how it all pans out.

captainhastings

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 20:51:58 »
I think most people expect a plot to be in working condition not a heap of tall grass and weeds like the one I just took on and happy to do so.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 21:13:48 »
I don't know where they got the figure of 1,000 from.  We have
one very smalll plot vacant but someone is coming to look at it tomorrow.

Someone from BBC online phoned me today, they are writing a feature
about it and wanted my views.  I said that we were almost full but we no longer
had a waiting list. 

There was a piece about it on the Midland news this evening.  Clive Birch,
chairman of the Birmingham and District Allotments Council said that it
was down to the council increasing the rent last year, but I don't think it is.
Only one person left our site after the rent increase, and only one person
who looked at a new plot decided not to have it because of the price.

I'll email the council tomorrow and ask it the figure is correct.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 21:23:25 »
Don't forget though Betty, the rent went up from approx £24 to £48 a year ago and then to £75 this year.  We have quite a few empty plots on our site at the moment due to a few people throwing in the trowel after last year's dismal weather and personal commitments.  A few others have decided to downsize thus leaving half plots vacant.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:50 »
On our site, we have what must one of the lowest 'rates' in a country..and first time for years..no waiting list! I know we have couple of plots coming available this year as the old chaps are packing in so it will be interesting to see if there is takers for them later on.
Something has definitely changed with interest for killing 'slave labour' :tongue3:...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:55:31 »
Just been looking at the prices for B'ham.  They seem to have an odd pricing system.  The size of a standard is 200-400 sq yds and that costs £75.  For 400 that is a good price, but for 200 that is on the pricey side.  If you have a very large plot you really get a bargain.

Personally I feel that it should be the smaller plots that are cheaper pro rata.   

We have always paid this higher price with no discounts for age and currently we are more or less full.   I have more than paid my rent in rhubarb, brassicas and parsnips already this year.  Everything else will be a bonus.   

I will be interested to hear the truth about this story.   

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 15:15:35 »
The Council replied to my email, it's true - there are at least 1000 vacant plots
in Birmingham.

We are full again, last available plot was taken this morning.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 16:02:53 »
There is a plot on my site which has a hedge to one side for its aprox. 140 foot length.  No one will take the plot on because one condition is that the hedge must be cut by the plot holder.   I could not manage my plot and maintain such a hedge.  So I think it is unreasonable.
Betty would this apply on your site.   Would it would pay the council to trim the hedge and let the plot?

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 16:10:47 »
There is a plot on my site which has a hedge to one side for its aprox. 140 foot length.  No one will take the plot on because one condition is that the hedge must be cut by the plot holder.   I could not manage my plot and maintain such a hedge.  So I think it is unreasonable.
Betty would this apply on your site.   Would it would pay the council to trim the hedge and let the plot?

It wouldn't apply on our site because contractors come and trim the hedges and shrubs.

It seems unreasonable for the plot holder to have to trim such a long hedge.  Have you
got other hedges on your site, and if so, who cuts them?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 16:40:04 »
Most of us have a 20 foot long  hedge at the end of our plots which back onto private gardens.    Some have 6 foot fencing put up by the occupiers of the houses.  I am lucky that the man the other side of my hedge cuts it down to 5-6 foot and I just trim my side back once a year.
There is one other plot with a long hedge which the plot holder cuts but he says it is getting too much and he may give up. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 20:31:26 »
I still find it odd that given there were long waiting lists not so long ago that such a huge number are now vacant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22874656

You seem to have changed somewhat since we met.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 21:35:07 »
.....   Would it would pay the council to trim the hedge and let the plot?
All plot-holders on our site with adjoining hedge boundaries are responsible for maintaining them and it is laid down in rules and regulations tenancy agreements. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 22:30:18 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22874656

You seem to have changed somewhat since we met.

I didn't recognise myself!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 17:53:10 »
We have 56 plots of varying sizes with the average being just under 5 poles.

In 2004 there was no waiting list ... then the craze gradually kicked in with a peak (2008-2010) of around 20 in the parish and another 6 outside the parish ...  now it is right down to the odd one or two. If the turnover of plot holders continues at anywhere near the rate that it has been in recent years then there is the danger that we may have vacant plots next year or possibly the one after.

Our rents are low so price is not a factor. Quite a number of new plot holders around 2008-2010 were young mums. Many have fallen by the wayside, as they realised that it is not as easy as it looks on the TV, or they could not find the time and their partners were not interested in helping. The weather last year did not help, and one wonders if the cold spring this year will exacerbate the level of dejection among the newer growers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 19:52:12 »
People may not be leaving because of the rent increase, but I bet it's affecting the waiting lists. My site has one of the longest waiting lists; I don't know what's happening elsewhere.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal