Author Topic: Changing layer pellets  (Read 3207 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Changing layer pellets
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:32:41 »
Hi All,

I have changed the brand of layer pellets that my hens were having and they are not eating as much. Do they take time to adjust to changes like this? The reason I changed them was that a local pet shop stocked them rather than driving out to buy from the breeder.

This is the first time I have kept hens so any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Changing layer pellets
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:29 »
Some hen's do seem to be picky for what brand they choose to eat :BangHead:
I don't know if it is down to different colour/size/shape as there can be slight differences between different makes.
It could also be that they simply don't need to eat as much..perharps this particular feed is more 'filling'. If you girls lay well and look and feel healthy there is no reason for you to change again. As long as they do eat.
Have they got more other food sources available?..perharps somebody has been treating/supplementing them with something else? Do they get more greens than before?
Have you got poultry grit available for them? Some feeds are more easily digestible for birds and with others they might need more grit to help it go down...in which case there is only so much room in their crop for food and seem that they don't eat as much.
What brand is the feed. My girls are on Spiller's (or something like that..can't remember without checking the bag) layers pellets and bag seem to last for ages compared to other brands that I've used in past.

steve1967

• Half Acre
Re: Changing layer pellets
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:20:35 »
Thanks Goodlife,

The new pellets are smaller and darker than the previous ones. They are Henrys natural layer pellets. They have plenty of grit and the only treat they get is a small amount of greens a couple of times a week.

They have only been having this food for the last four days so hopefully its as you say the feed is more filling. Will keep an eye on how much they eat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal