Author Topic: a communal shed  (Read 3360 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
a communal shed
« on: June 04, 2013, 20:31:25 »
hi ,am trying to get a communal shed on our site, we have 86 plots and lots of new people, but nobody knows anyone or has a chat ,so Ive asked the committee to say yes to this new shed and most of the lotty folk are for it ,we said we would get the money together and four lads have said they would build it free ,it gos to a meeting next week anyone else done this? and what advice can you give us :wave:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: a communal shed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 21:04:06 »
We have one, bought with a grant, cost 5,000 about 7 years ago. It's 20x10 with the back part closed off with a door in, all the communal tools are kept back there. The front has our stove, table and some chairs (there's another one outside with some more chairs). We have cupboards with tea and coffee, sugar and long life milk. It's great to get together and put the world to rights and plan stuff  :toothy10:

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:51 »
Hi Mani,thats just what we need here will look in-to the grant thing there must be money oot there somewhere, We don't want alot, but need something sturdy and the long life milk and stove sounds brill when putting the world to right, thanks it gives me more reason to push this through.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:42 »
Hi all its sad new we are not to get our communal shed ,reasons are that the size10x8  to big and breakins and the safety of the use of a Gaz bottle ! we have a shed for 3-4 lawn mowers ,and a bush cutter ,storage of petrol to run them! there would be more risk of break ins for the lawn mowers ect,than a few tea cups and that very dangerous gaz bottle ,I am really upset ,our committee is all male and a job for the boys type! I think I rocked the boat asking for somthing ,the lotty holders were quite happy to club together £10 a plot and only if they wanted or could aford it ! what can I do ? it was a closed meeting I wanted to put the request in writting but was told it was not needed that it was in the bag ! I'll keep you posted if we go any futher with it .

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:46:38 »
Sorry to butt in CB. We have a new though temporary site rep. If he gets voted in at the next AGM I am hoping that he will look into what he could get grants for. I might need to pick your brains later in the year Mal :icon_cheers:.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 15:52:32 »
No problemo, Janet  :toothy10: :toothy10:
Keep trying, claybasket. If enough plot holders shout about it, the committee will have to change their minds  :icon_thumleft:

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 00:34:25 »
We are in the prossess of plaining our next move I like to see the mins of the meeting and apeel, also try to work around the objections that are being put up ,thanks for your support,will keep in touch . :BangHead:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:05 »
Hmm...sounds odd to me that it is decided in close meeting??
In our allotment society, decision is not down to committee, only in small day to day things. Any possible 'big' decisions are brought on front of members in AGM for discussion and voting...they have to be written down and posted to secretary in advance so committee can look into it....to find out back round info, possible legalities involved, ideas of cost etc. And when suggestions are presented, committee can only give their recommendation for it or against and rest is down to voting then.
Many suggestions are down to what available funds are available and how do we raise them....it is always the biggest hurdle as folk here are very tight, they don't want to raise subscriptions but desperately cling to every penny they want to pay.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal