Author Topic: Will things really catch up?  (Read 4552 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Will things really catch up?
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:24 »
Here the weather is dire. So cold for the season and now rainy.
 I have never Seen such a bad May.
I put out some toms as I had no more room in the flat and had to start a new job so less time coming up. They are alive but only just. However all the other things I don't dare put out-a dozen peppers, cukes, courgettes... It seems to be getting so late. Will these things really give a harvest if they are so late in?
For now all we have had are chard, rhubarb and a bit of lettuce. I find this year so disheartening, and this morning it is raining and Sunday is usually my big work day. It is driving me mental. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Will things really catch up?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:55 »
No panic yet...it is still early-ish in the season and there is time to catch up..providing things don't freeze up.
Its been really cold and wet here too...BUT HEY!..as I'm typing, sun just came out and it beauuuuutiful out there :sunny:
Time to go and get some plants in...all brassicas of mine are screaming for a attention. See...its not only you who is struggling...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 14:27:52 »
Feel for you Antipodes  :wave:  :coffee2:
I think most things will catch up, as long as they get a fair season or at least that's what I'm hoping  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 16:20:54 »
I think it will be a good summer  :sunny:. I was really surprised early this week to see a slight frost here. I cant remember the last time we had one in May. But there are other signs its looking good. Last April I had flooding on my plot and with the dismal summer it wasn't so good. This winter I still had flooding but things have really picked up after the cold March although late all my sowings are growing well. The air is getting warmer and getting the odd bit of rain. I hope things pick up for you in France....I am sure they will and like me look upon the bad weather we have had as a distant memory.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 23:29:46 »
Steve - I just love your optimism - and hope you are right :wave:.

Tricia

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:26:40 »
Continuing really cold and wet here too (SW France.  farmers are seriously struggling, as  they have run out of   feed for  animals, they haven't yet been able to do the first hay cut, and the lowland field are too wet to put the animals on, the grass hasn't grown anyway.  They can't be moved  up to the middle height mountain pastures, as  there was so much snow, that it has only just melted so pastures haven't grown at all.  Higher up, where the animals are usually from June onwards there are still several metres of snow in places.
At least I only garden for my pleasure and our own use, and to give away!
I planted out half our tomatoes two weeks ago, and they have shivered ever since.  The rest are still under cover.  Potatoes are doing well, peas are behind, parsnips are loving the cooler damp weather, I have three complete rows.  Lettuces very happy too!  I'm optimistic that some things will do well, even if others don't.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 20:46:46 »
Here the weather is dire. So cold for the season and now rainy.
 I have never Seen such a bad May.
I put out some toms as I had no more room in the flat and had to start a new job so less time coming up. They are alive but only just. However all the other things I don't dare put out-a dozen peppers, cukes, courgettes... It seems to be getting so late. Will these things really give a harvest if they are so late in?
For now all we have had are chard, rhubarb and a bit of lettuce. I find this year so disheartening, and this morning it is raining and Sunday is usually my big work day. It is driving me mental. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

If ear that this will be the next problem this year,- that things will catch up. I foresee that the broad, french and runners will all peak together, That 5 successional sowings of lettuce will all heart in the same week- or all bolt off together. The main crop spuds already are level with the earlies and the curcubits will be with fruit before they get planted out. I guess if was easy , then everybody could do it !
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 19:25:47 »
Experts say everything is a month behind this year, not just plants but insect such as butterflys, and a lot of them could be wiped out if we have a bad summer. Hopefully this summer will be better than last summer, my potatoes that went in a month late are already showing promise compared to last year.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 22:10:11 »
Its nice to know about being a month behind as that puts me on level par with every one else as i am normaly a month behind every one else.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 22:50:54 »
Surely we will have a bit of good weather this year?  After the last few strange summers, I now make sure that I plant a large range of crops so that if we have lots of rain or sun, I will have crops that like those conditions....if you can't beat them join them lol.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:05 »
Some things are really behind and some seem to be ahead. 

The oaks are well on while the ashes are only just having leaves.  The May is only just beginning to flower which is very behind because it normally flowers round here in April.  But the cow parsley is putting of a great show and is huge.

I almost always go on holiday the second week in June so used to the state of things when I get back.
Beans in bottle cloches are doing well those outside have mostly died.  Strawberries are fantastic covered with loads of flowers. Lots of bees on Sunday but few yesterday.

Brassicas under ikea nets doing brilliantly.   Raspberries Autumn looking good, summer ones mostly looking unhappy.  Potatoes so got singed by frost and are looking very unhappy but others fine and getting huge.   Mayan gold really suffered badly.   Sweetcorn very behind, first batch is usually well to the tops of the bottles by now.  Courgettes desperate to come out of their bottle but nights still rather iffy.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:52:05 »
Who knows what's going to happen...

I am limiting my garden and lottie to shorter season crops and cutting down on the longer ones [only growing a few chillis in bigger pots and maximising the feeding regime for example]...last year and the year before I was still harvesting toms well into October and November; so I'm not too worried at all about late toms. Indeed, I sowed some in situ at the lottie in the hope that they germinate and kick on once summer comes; but if not then I've still got other food to eat. The greenhouse therefore is for sowing and potting on this year rather than loads of space being taken up growing to maturity...the only thing I really want is loads of cukes so I have sown the miniature ones so that I can pick them as often as I can rather than wait for them to get big enough.

This weather thing is a kick in the butt and we have to adapt our growing to be more flexible; so shorter season crops seem to be a good way of taking advantage of this.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 15:11:23 »
Well, maybe I was just feeling a little depressed! Things are not so bad now it has warmed up a little: the toms that were shivering are hanging in and one or two are flowering! Nice lettuce, good broad bean growth and the rhubarb and artichokes are giving good harvests. Strawberries have loads of flowers.
But funnily enough, the peas have germinated very poorly, and radish and turnip have not been successful. But the carrots have germinated which is a first for me!!!
We definitely have to adapt from year to year!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 16:17:53 »
Just read this on the BBC website:
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22595525/[url]

Why do my links never come out right?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 16:25:39 »
Delete the [url] at both ends and it should work fine.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 16:58:56 »

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 22:02:30 »
I usually have made loads of elderflower cordial by this point in the year - no sign yet of white flowers

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 00:10:55 »

May is out so we can cast our clouts  :icon_cheers:

Elder is next door and no signs of flowers here yet too - so put your feet up for a tad but so worth the wait.

Ninnyscrops x

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 05:53:32 »
Muller fruit corner on the plot is alive with blossom.
Loads of fruit already on goosys plus blueberries,raspberries,blackberry,strawbs full of blossom.
After the recent rains the salad tatter top greenery is thriving,yet in the warmth of the polly we've only just had our 1st couple of tommys burst through.
Not going to bother planting any tomato plants outside as last years blight killed them all,even the blight resistant ones I was given to trial.... :BangHead:

GazNjude

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal