Author Topic: Rabbit for dinner!!  (Read 11116 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Rabbit for dinner!!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 18:47:40 »
I love to eat rabbit and game e but nobody else in our house seems to so I only really get to it it on the menu in a restaurant
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 19:04:55 »
I've just had my dinner Gazza and now you have gone and made me hungry again.   :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 19:08:29 »
Whoops, I think NZ Whites used to be called albinos but don't think it is pc any more.

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 21:22:29 »
@ mikeakabigman, what age/ weight would you despatch 'em? Im thinking 12 wks onwards??! perhaps im way off???!!
Yep, I would despatch them at 10-12 weeks, they are usually at a decent weight by then, and nice and tender, after 12 weeks they start to toughen and then you are limited to stewing or longer slow cooking methods.
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 20:12:55 »
Thanks mikeakabigman :glasses9:

So, thanks to the hi-vis brigade and their ungodly mortal fear of asbestos (long story), today i found myself at a loose end.

Needless to say, my back garden is now playing host to a half finished duo of rabbit hutches sat atop an 2.4m x 0.6m run, which will be completed tomorrow (assuming those blithering HSE idiots are still sniffing around my jobsite and work cannot commence).  :icon_cheers:

I also have plans to go to our nearest fur & feather auction this saturday and with any luck, calfornian and NZ white will be on offer. Im thinking of a trio to start with - 2 does and a buck, and let nature take its course.

Thanks for everyones advice in this subject - im now one happy ...er...bunny!!! :tongue3: :toothy10:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 18:35:45 »
 :sunny:

So, last weeks fur&feather market provided me with a lovely, nice sized continental (or flemish - cant be sure) giant doe for a meagre 7 quid - very happy :happy7:, and today im now the proud owner of a stud NZ White buck, and a nice tempered NZ doe.

All hutches are set up, bales of hay/ straw and bags of feed at the ready, tonnes of info absorbed and hey presto - a working rabbitry!! :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

Will be putting the giant in with the stud in the next fortnight or so, after they've all settled and adjusted to new home etc. All being well, there'll be rabbit meat on the menu in time for barbecue season!! :icon_cheers: :tongue3:

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:18 »
Best of luck, I'm looking forward to reading about your progress with this project. Once I've got my new lotty plot under control, I may start up with Rabbits again, at the moment I'm working to control the wild ones LOL
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:57 »
By 'eck Hi_Hoe, you don't mess about....

I'm only partly through the construction of somewhere to put the rabbit cages down on the plot.
After much thought, I have decided to build an extension to the teepee (:-D) to accommodate them, and at the same time relocate the small loose-brick built wood-burning fire from outside to inside where it can help to prevent their water from freezing etc.
Due to my illness I won't always be able to make it to the allotment, so I have to put some thought into a system that won't be bothered by short absences of a day or so.
Its coming though. Slowly. :icon_cheers)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 18:47:20 »
By 'eck Hi_Hoe, you don't mess about....

Thanks!!!

Im a very pragmatic person, and we only live once so my outlook is pretty much f**k it, lets crack on today and tommorow will sort itself out!!!  :toothy10:

Anyways, my two does seem to be getting used to me and theryre really endearing, but the stud is a right bastard!! Perhaps he'll get used to being handled over time?! :dontknow:

Ive been reading t'interweb site and watching utube vids on rabbit culling/ butchering whioch has given me plenty of ideas, and im very much ready mentally for the task. After all, at least my bunnies will have a decent life before getting slaughtered as opposed to the conditions most of our shop bought meat will have had, which kinda makes me feel ok with it. Im not saying the first time at bunny-murder will be a breeze obviously, but I intend to treat each animal with the utmost respect it will deserve, both in life and after.

Ill keep u all posted as and when!!

x

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 10:15:05 »
For anyone thinking of keeping rabbits for the pot (or even of dealing with wild rabbits), I can highly recommend the training courses run by Alison Wilson http://www.bigwhiterabbits.co.uk/about-me/

She's based in Hampshire, but also runs courses in Preston from time to time.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 08:18:59 »
update - Lost the stud buck on friday night. My friend found him keeled over in the bottom of the hutch saturday morning, with the giant doe running around him?? :BangHead: We do hope that the ol' chap had it away with her before clopping his pogs....

Me thinks a slight tweek on the hutch is in order - stop the doe re-entering!! You live and learn.... :tongue3:

Anyways, my friend kindly offered to pick up a replacement at the fur&feather which she did - a lovely NZ young buck, and a doe which is "potentially in kindle" - we'll wait to see!....

So thanks to her, the rabbitry is still functioning and perhaps there'll be bunny-murder sooner than i'd anticipated :toothy10:

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 14:48:16 »
update :sunny:

Not really convinced that my 'in kindle' doe i preggo at all :dontknow:  and she's not exhibiting any of the signs i should be looking for.
oh well!!

So this morning i put the giant in with the young buck and he seemed more than eager to meet her,  wink wink!! Im leaving her in with him for a couple of days to really make sure nature has taken its course, and touch wood, we'll have nice a cross bred litter soon enough- mmm- perfect for the pot!! :toothy10: :toothy10:

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 21:14:48 »
Last road kill we had was venison butchered on the kitchen floor... daughter found it dead beside the road over the tops in N.Yorks. Nice to know that not all of life's little skills go to waste  :tongue3:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 16:09:15 »
I was once camping in Glencoe when someone ran over a sheep. I feasted for days!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 20:26:57 »
Waste not want not.. Still have last joint of said venison in freezer waiting for company... :toothy10: Mind you I'm afraid the skin went to the tip. I'd had enough DIY by the time we'd finished  :drunken_smilie:

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:15 »
*update*

Kits born tuesday night!! :icon_cheers: :blob7: :blob7:

Cant tell how many yet as i dont want to disturb the nest but RESULT!! Food is born!!
Yay for me.......

:icon_cheers:

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 18:18:20 »
*update*

Ok, so today if find theyre all dead, no matter tho.......

:BangHead:  :BangHead:

Lessons learnt,

*dusts off, shakes down, carries on!*

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 22:03:51 »
Yay... :icon_cheers:

New bunnies born and seem to be doing well! :happy7:

I count that as a success!

I'll let you all know how they taste!! :toothy10:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 17:49:25 »
Well done Hi_Hoe.
I'm still at the 'building an extension to the tent' stage just now.
See, I had an idea.  :drunken_smilie: My ideas take forever to come to fruition.
Its turning heads down the lotty already though. Should look good, and be in rabbit production, before the end of the year. I hope.

Good luck with them. I'm sure they'll taste fantastic!

:glasses9:
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 20:18:02 »
Thanks Nigel!  Hope your extension comes on well!  I have to report, though, that my litter of kits has declined. Theres one left out of seven - it appears the mother had trampled four of them, and my guess is that the other two have succumbed to the cold, so not the great result i'd hoped for. Lessons are being learnt, hto! :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal