Author Topic: The 2.99 special  (Read 1398 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
The 2.99 special
« on: July 24, 2013, 23:12:21 »
If you are a senior you will understand this one, if you deal with seniors, this should help you understand them a little better, and if you are not a senior yet........

God willing, someday you will be......

The $2.99 Special

We went to breakfast at a restaurant where the 'seniors' special' was two eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast for $2.99.

'Sounds good,' my wife said.

'But I don't want the eggs.'

'Then, I'll have to charge you $3.49 because you're ordering a la carte,' the waitress warned her.

'You mean I'd have to pay for not taking the eggs?' my wife asked incredulously.

'YES!' stated the waitress.

'I'll take the special then,' my wife said..

'How do you want your eggs?' the waitress asked.

'Raw and in the shell,' my wife replied.

She took the two eggs home and baked a cake.

DON'T MESS WITH SENIORS!!!

WE'VE been around the block more than once!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: The 2.99 special
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 00:26:20 »
Huh!

In the next 10 years or so we will see a society where the younger adults have been force-fed a diet of consumerism and capitalism - but they're the ones who need to be quickly taught how to be thrifty given that they have next to no job opportunities and a very hard life without any chance of a state pension at the end of it.  I fear for some getting out of the mind-set they've been taught all their lives will be hard to impossible.

The joke is that the senior members own the vast majority of the money and land in the country due to dodgy legislation right from the '70s up to today borrowing money from the future to hide the failings of today.  If you're a senior you've probably voted for the corrupt unsustainable policies all your life.  The only generation that elected a government that gave the future a sense of hope was the one that existed just after the 2nd world war and all the ones since the 70s have been undoing all their good work.

So I would politely ask that you don't rub the younger forum member's noses in it by posting such smug stuff about being older and thriftier.  You could have told the same story with as much humour if you had done it without the "old vs young" stuff! 

Young people need to be taught how to steal eggs too!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: The 2.99 special
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:20:06 »
Not sure you can blame the government for the fact that many younger people have been brainwashed into thinking their life is unliveable if they don't have a flash car, the latest TV/hifi/smartphone/gadget/ a 35 year mortgage, overseas holidays and designer clothes!!! Or to having an "I'm all right Jack" attitude where they can ignore social injustice and be .
And  of course those in a situation where they can't have all that feel hard done by and turn to crime to have what others have.
That is a bit of a generalisation of course, but I can't help thinking that they don't know how to make do with what they have and make a little go a long way. As my father in law often says, they want to earn what they spend, and not spend what they earn!!

And in the end, TeeGee was just "having a laff" !!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal