Author Topic: Storing/Lifting Tulip Bulbs  (Read 3420 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Storing/Lifting Tulip Bulbs
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:38:02 »
I have grown tulips for the first time. Now what? Do I leave them in the borders to die down and leave in the ground or should I lift them to dry?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Storing/Lifting Tulip Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:24:42 »
Depends. In well drained soil where they can bake over Summer you may leave them in. Otherwise, and especially with the tall hybrids, it is probably better to lift them, clean off the bulbs and store over Summer. 2 choices, either allow the foliage to die down naturally and then dig up the bulbs (best) or dig them up now and heel them in somewhere out of the way until the leaves die down.
Gardening is the great leveller.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:37 »
Ok that's two choices, thank you. One other question can they naturalise in grass like daffodils?

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:48 »
Yes they can naturalise, and this is a good thing to do with second year Tulips as after their first year the blooms on Tulips can be variable as the parent bulb only lasts a couple of years and the bulblets have to take over.  That is why many people buy new Tulip bulbs each year because apart from the Red or Yellow Botanical Tulips it is hard to get a uniform display year on year.

This seems like a waste to me so I plant them in the meadow or else in veg beds as cutting flowers. 
Best laid plans and all that

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 18:42:41 »
They like being baked during the summer, so I find it's either a container or nothing.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 20:31:20 »
It helps if you feed container ones while they're still green. Then I lift and leave them somewhere warm and dry either in the poly or the shed. That way you stand a chance of flowers the second year wherever you decide to put them.  :wave:

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:28 »
Thank you for all the tips and advice, much appreciated. Bulbs all fed and ready for lifting soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal