Author Topic: Why is my pyracantha hedge not flowering?  (Read 9057 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Why is my pyracantha hedge not flowering?
« on: May 16, 2013, 22:50:31 »
My pyracantha hedge was planted in April 2010 and I was delighted when it flowered the same year. In 2011 I strew some general fertiliser along the base in April - no flowers. Last year it was mulched with the contents of my compost bin - no flowers. Although the hedge has put on good new growth each year and is now almost 2 meters high it has yet again failed to show any signs of buds or flowering this year. It is planted alongside a metre high stone wall and gets an occasional watering in very dry weather (ie - not very often in recent times!). It had lots of lovely red berries for the birds in its first year, so it is very disappointing. What am I doing wrong?

I seem to remember I posted on this subject last year and was told that it flowered on 2 year old growth so it hasn't been trimmed at all.

I had a pyracantha hedge at another house years ago and it was always a delight in Spring covered in white flowers buzzing with bees and then the bright red berries in Autumn.

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Why is my pyracantha hedge not flowering?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 00:08:50 »
Try giving application of potash..it will help formations of flower buds for next year.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:43 »
Feeding it lots of goodness from the compost bin has given it every reason to grow strongly, as you've seen, with no reason to produce flowers.

I'm with Goodlife re. potash since potash promotes flowers and fruits.

While pruning runs the risk of promoting yet more strong growth ultimately pyracantha greatly benefits from spur pruning which is why you sometimes see them trained elaborately.

So in summary it will begin fruiting when it's good and ready but you can help things along by applying potash soon and begin a pruning plan beginning in the winter :happy7:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 15:30:51 »
Right - potash it is then, which will also be good for the fruit trees in front of the hedge, but I'll wait till rain is forecast  :happy7:

Tricia  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 17:40:05 »
It is the old survival of the fittest syndrome. When a plant/tree/bush is stressed it will make millions of 'babies' to ensure that it will carry on even if it dies. Your plants were stressed in the first year because of being recently moved/planted. Then they were really contented with all the food you gave them so why bother trying to reproduce.  This is why people say it will be a hard winter when they see loads of holly berries, the holly tree just ain't taking any chances. Lemons trees are starved, not watered or cared for when you want them to fruit.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 23:27:00 »
This is why people say it will be a hard winter when they see loads of holly berries, the holly tree just ain't taking any chances.

Oh dear! - the hedge ends at a holly bush which is covered in flowers this year - a hard winter for 2013/14?

Tricia

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 16:13:58 »
 :dontknow: Oh dear....we have hardly left last winter behind as yet. Snow the other day in Scotland and Shropshire to name only two places, hailstones here today and cold  :sad11:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal