Author Topic: Enviromesh Covers on Veg. When to remove?  (Read 2663 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Enviromesh Covers on Veg. When to remove?
« on: October 31, 2015, 16:15:19 »
Thanks to various pests I have to grow my leeks, and root crops (parsnips carrots and beetroot) under frames covered with enviromesh. This is fine in itself and I get good results from doing so.

The problem comes at this time of year and knowing when the best time to remove the covers and return the garden to 'normal'.

So I am wondering if I am OK to remove them now? The carrots and beetroot are nearly finished and the leeks and parsnips could probably benefit from colder weather uncovered, however if in these days of climate change/global warming, are they still at any risk from leek moth/onion fly/ carrot fly, or am I being paranoid!

I live in southern England BTW.

Thanks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Enviromesh Covers on Veg. When to remove?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 17:05:05 »
yes indeed a dilemma i keep mine on all year because of one pest or the other i remember a couple of years ago had some great winter carrots lifted the fleece in DEC come end of Jan root fly had had their wicked way with them since then i keep it all covered just to crop something hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 18:44:23 »
I see it as a either / or situation with leanings to what Johnny has said.

If your only reason is for cosmetic reasons as you suggest, I think I would leave it on until the frosts then I am fairly certain you won't be troubled.

It would be rather sad if after the care you have given them up until now, that they are affected by any of the problems you have considered simply because of cosmetic reasons.

Having said that I think I would give you a 60-40 chance in favour of not having any problems if you did take it off.

I know this is rather vague reply but as I see it the choice is really yours, and what type of weather you get.

Sorry for not being more helpful, but up here in the wild and woolly north I don't think I would ever be faced with such a situation, hence my reply being more of an opinion rather than a fact........Tg

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:28:45 »
Thanks johnny and TG.

I think deep down i knew there would be no definitive answer to this, i did though want to get a few opinions to help me out, as i cant really remember what i did about it last year. Normally i keep a record of such things in a diary and in the form of photos of the garden. Typiclally for last year there are no photos to help and i cant find any note of it in my diary. I do know that for the year before (2013) the covers were removed by the end of October (photo evidence) but as every year is different i cant rely on one years evidence.

The crunch time will be when we get the first storm of the autumn/winter, then if i havent done it before they will have to come off then to prevent damage or loss of the mesh. Certainly the cover over the parsnips will have to come off for the first proper frosts so that the roots can be properly frosted in time for harvesting. When this will be, who knows?

I think the main concern is the leeks, i have had some bad harvests recently due to leek moth damage, but this year having been protected from the moth since before they were planted out they are looking really good (if a bit small but thats due to late planting!). so i really want them protected as long as possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal