Author Topic: Fox damage to Lawn  (Read 6991 times)

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
Fox damage to Lawn
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:10:48 »
It's that time again and the foxes have arrived to dig dozens of fist sized holes in my lawn.  They will stop by mid June, but be back again at the end of September.

Has anyone found a decent deterrent or lawn bug (eg., surface feeding worms, chafers and leather jackets) remover.  Or any other method of preventing extensive damage to mown areas.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
Re: Fox damage to Lawn
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 22:39:16 »
We have a fox problem on our allotment site, and asked the council for advice. They referred us to the Fox Project, who can be found online if you wish. They recommend using counter-scents to exclude the area from being a scent-marked territory, and make foxes wary of entering it. Recommended products are "Scoot", and "Get off my garden".
They say that ultrasound devices are useless, but say that a water spraying device with a movement sensor , "Watchman" I think, works well against any animal.

Unwelcome as it may be, their logic about killing foxes is sound sense: There is no such thing as an empty territory - if you remove the owner, another fox will move in
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 16:21:36 »
Don't let small children roll on the lawn, foxes can carry weils disease.

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 08:17:16 »
Hi Fox problem solved.

After suffering great frustration and failure with various anti-fox techniques I rigged up a security light in their favourite attack zone.  It only comes on for a few seconds, but has done the trick.

The foxes come to dig for worms and grubs.  On a moonlit night the worms emerge from their burrows and lie partly on the surface where the fox can snap them up.  If they just miss a particularly juicy one, they dig a hole to retrieve it.

However at the first flash of light from the security lamp the worms zip back down their burrows, leaving the fox with nothing to chase and a completely wasted journey!  An added bonus is that I no longer have the stink of fox pee in the garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal