Author Topic: poly tunnel!  (Read 5306 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
poly tunnel!
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:48 »
Morning everyone, I'm so happy as I have moved allotments and got a poly tunnel.. but the previous owner only had 5 small beds in it. Was made to be wheelchair friendly. Anyone got a good layout plan that I can try? or websites I can view?  I know its supposed to be done before erection of the tunnel, but I will be careful. I need to make good use of all the space. I wont get done this year so no rush. Taa.. :happy7: :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: poly tunnel!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:11:01 »
Well done on getting a poly-tunnel  :blob7:
What are you planning on growing and what size is the poly-tunnel Willsy?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 21:08:38 »
Hi Jayb, still trying to tidy up. Poly all cleared but the beds are so small in there, such a waste of space. I have thought of growing things in bags. Hubby has just not been well and today we were at the hospital only to be told he may have had a T.I.A.(slight stroke) so I cannot see me getting the poly tunnel sorted anytime soon this year. But on a good note also have 3 green houses to play with.. dont know about you but my Tomato plants are just not coming on as they should , so may buy some this year which really goes against the grain but.... when in need eh? you got any suggestions as to what i should grow in the poly? Just hope it doesnt rain like it did last year as I know it got flooded out, what do you think of the idea to place sand bags at the door? and dig a channel out to make the water run in another direction.? I'm dreaming about what I am able to do by myself but not very abled bodied these days...getting older is a bummer.     

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 22:07:50 »
Hope Hubby is feeling better very soon  :wave:
Just a thought, but if you are going to be pushed to change the PT around this year, why not just go with the beds as they are this summer. If the paths are extra wide you will be able to plant the beds right up to the edge and still have room to get by? Or what about placing some pots with veggies in along the path to soak up some of the width? You could then perhaps get it a bit more to your liking when you have more time in the autumn?

Hopefully if you have slightly raised beds then if we do have a similar wet summer they should miss the worst of it. Last year was grim here, spent most of it in wellies as sooooo wet and muddy!

I've a few tomato plants looking a bit iffy but on the whole they are not doing too bad, bit late but hopefully with our gorgeous summer to come - they will be romping ahead! I've had to feed them sooner this year, perhaps manufacturers are cutting back to cut costs? Might be worth trying a feed and seeing if that perks them up?

What to grow; all those warm lovers, tomatoes, peppers, chillies, cucumber, melon, aubergine. I usually put in some beans, and later a crop of peas and beans for the autumn.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 23:40:52 »
You do not mention the size of your tunnel!

This is how i have laid out out or 36ft x14ft tunnel

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:44 »
Tee gee that looks fab.. I haven't had time to measure the p/t yet but it is quite large. I hope I can achieve what you have done with yours. It is going to be a big job as the floor is so uneven. will take some photos of before and after. Jbay. last year I went on holiday because of the weather being s@@@e. Yes the p/t got totally washed away/out, my friend just gave up trying last year, that's why I thought of sand bags to try and stop it flooding. Well lots to do, thank you all for your comments.
P.S. the beds are not that well built, very small sides. Needs redoing and made higher so that if it does rain it wont all get washed away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal