Author Topic: Why am I on the committee?  (Read 12811 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Why am I on the committee?
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:05:05 »
We had our AGM on Sunday - all 11 members of the committee were there..............
plus 8 plot holders.   6 people sent apologies.

There are about 130 people on our site, many of them were working on their
plots while the meeting was going on.

Notices about the AGM had been up around the site for over a month.

I suppose people think that if everything is going well there is nothing
they can contribute to the meeting so they don't think it's necessary to go.

On the other hand, the regular moaners see it as their opportunity to
criticize and they can't wait to share their negative views with a captive
audience.

One of them wants us to install electric hand dryers in the outside toilets
He says that we should give less money to charity and spend it on ourselves.
He has never helped us to raise a penny, for us or for charity.

Another objected to the covered area outside the pavilion because "it gets too
hot" (there are opening windows and two doors) and we wasted the money
on it.

Our Treasurer is now looking into the cost of installing the hand dryers because
one person asked for them.

I strongly object to using our hard-earned funds for this and if it is decided to
go ahead I won't help with raising money for the association in the future.

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm on the committee......

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:44:16 by pumpkinlover »
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Why am I on the committee?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:29:53 »
Like you say Betty. When everything is going ok as far as they are concerned then they think that  things should be left as they are. Same committee carrying on just as they are.
If the place was full then you know that the plot holders aren't satisfied and want change.
Two people criticised what the committee had done and what they should do. That's two out of 130 plotholders.
These two people do not appreciate all of the hard work that you do for them and the other plot holders. They just wanted to upset the meeting.
I for one and I know the committee members I have spoken to do not agree with having hand dryers in the toilet. So it looks like you will be staying as Secretary of Walsall Rd Allotments.
You have helped Tony and myself so much and I know that you have done the same for others.
Without you at the helm the allotment site would go to the dogs.
No-one put their name forward for an officers position on the committee. That says it all.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:41:58 »
It's same on most sites Betty, except few have as much going for them as yours have!! Lucky b******s, it's wonderful.
You do a great job, rest of the committee too. I would be frustrated at such a poor turnout, we usually do quite well at ours even though this year it was nearly a mile from the site.

However the frustrations are still there. Mr PKL tells me that if you do anything with people that is what happens. Sadly he's right, its so easy to moan. I call them "goodwill sponges" as they soak up all your finer feelings. But hey......we get over it and then come back for more!!!
x Anne

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:19:56 »

One of them wants us to install electric hand dryers in the outside toilets
He says that we should give less money to charity and spend it on ourselves.
He has never helped us to raise a penny, for us or for charity.

Another objected to the covered area outside the pavilion because "it gets too
hot" (there are opening windows and two doors) and we wasted the money
on it.

Low turnout - yep they are happy!

2 out of 130?  Hardly a majority then.  Look at the cost by all means, but wait for a bit more support for that scheme.  For example, it would only be fair, if the person who wanted the hand dryer actually came to the meeting with solid support from a good quantity of plot holders.  As long as they make the request on their own behalf, it isn't representative of all the allotment holders.  If that one person is really  bothered, they can bring their own towel.  I would not take it on, unless it has good backing from a bigger group.  That you do take individual moans and requests on board, Squash, speaks volumes about the kind hearted and hard working secretary you are.

In this case, note it, thank them for the suggestion, and ignore it until many want it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:25:45 by galina »

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:18:22 »
Its the same old same old 80:20 story...   20% do anything and the rest dont bother but shout the odds when thy want something.. Every committee is the same and believe me i've been on plenty.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:26 »
Blldy hll, I wash my hands in the water tank, can be cold in winter and wipe them down my trousers.  A towel or soft toilet paper will do.  I would get so annoyed about that, half the fun of an allotment is getting dirty, then going home to a shower or bath. I expect they will be asking for hand cream next.  Forget it and get on with doing your good work for charity, there are some strange people about.   :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:13:38 »
My sympathies but that is typical of many groups and societies nowadays.
It was my horticultural society AGM a couple of weeks ago. There were 20 people present, including the committee, out of over 200 members.
I think that it was the quickest one on record taking well less than a hour.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 16:46:58 »
You do a bloody good job there girl, :angel11: so ignore a couple of moaning old feckers, price it up by all means and tell them the rent will proberly go up to pay for it and vote on it. As for the other one ask them if they would like air conditioning as the electricians will be on site putting in a super dooper hand dryer, but Borlotti's right ( for once) get some big pots of E45 in case their hands crack under the hand dryer.  Cheeky feckers.  :BangHead: :BangHead:       :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Martin T

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 17:21:55 »
Hello Betty,

You should be very proud of what you do there.
The plot holders should be very grateful for all the work you do and the facilities they have.
All the best,

Martin.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 18:05:13 »
Honey, you are there because you are a good worker and a good person  which makes you tip in and do your bit of course.Sadly this also means you are on the firing line for the miseries of this world, but things can;t run at all without folks like you who bare their soul almost for the betterment of others.

Is there any way you could get worked into your system that folks have to go to an AGM, we have that in our rules and it works a treat.

Good luck, don't lose sight of the fact that you are doing a wonderful job, and to heck with the miseries, they have small little pea brains and couldn't open a paper bag without the good people of this world, like you, holding their hands.

You are very much appreciated by the folks that matter...

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 20:11:33 »
Thanks so much for all the lovely supportive replies. It's good to have a place where
people understand what it's like.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 18:55:52 »
Thinking of what Jeannine was saying, is it possible for people to pay there rents and have an AGM on the same day, therefore everyones there for both reasons, just a thought.    :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 19:50:15 »
Thinking of what Jeannine was saying, is it possible for people to pay there rents and have an AGM on the same day, therefore everyones there for both reasons, just a thought.    :wave:

That's what we do, and get good response. The ones that do not come then we then have to try and get to cough up!! (Then it's my fault for not being there whenever they turn up!)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 20:50:53 »

It's a good idea Kev and worth thinking about, thanks.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:16 »

We do this although we do collect by bank transfer.. We get a decent turnout most years even if some just come for the moan.
Some people think that the sites run themselves or that we have some hidden pot of unending money.

The problem is that issues on site and at AGM are normally caused by one or two percent of the members and that colours the way we think.  Just think of all the people that didn't moan or make dumb requests Betty - they are the ones to remember. 

I once had someone come up and thank me after an AGM - I was gobsmacked - never happened again though!!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:51:19 »
We put on a BBQ after the AGM and trebled the attendance...funny that!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:33 »
BBQ, jugglers, the local choir, you could put all sorts on, I'll even come down and do a bit of stand up, for a fee of course.  :blob7:  :icon_cheers:      :wave:

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 17:32:57 »
Doubt we could afford you Kev!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 10:11:09 »
I've been quoted £800 for hand dryers in the two toilets at church. I'm exploring the possibility of cheaper options, but I'm not sure we'll get it down very far.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 12:46:15 »
We had a quote for installing hand dryers in both outside toilets.
It would involve digging up the car park to put heavy duty cable
and the cost came to almost £2000.
The committee voted unanimously against it.
Common sense prevailed.

I've put up a notice in the toilets saying that if people are
not happy with the towels which we provide they might consider
bringing their own.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal